Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Supercharged 5.7 with 6.2 cam

Not sure how this will help you , do you know that the 6.2HC and 6.2 Demon and 6.4 cams have different Durations @ 50
    SRT8 392 camshaft Part # 05037379BC. NON MDS
    215/221 @ .050".574"/.551" valve lift 1.6 intake/1.65 E ratio,121 LSA,108 ICL
    SRT8 392 MDS 05038419AB
    @50 Exhaust 215 on 4 lobes for MDS

Hellcat cam is
    I - .561" lift duration @50 215
    E - .551" lift duration @.50 230
    Demon is
    I 561 Duration @.50 215
    E 551 Duration @.50 235
    Last edited by PurpleRam; 10-15-2019 at 08:55 AM.
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Advanced Tuner
    I know the differences between cams, just don't know why desired/actual exhaust angle at idle still read like a 5.7 cam despite importing values from a 6.2 (HC) stock tune? At idle 6.2/6.4 is at full cam advance ~134 degree exhaust but on a 5.7 it is ~125 degrees exhaust. One would think swapping the tables would now cause the PCM to register full advance as ~134 degrees exhaust but it does not.

Advanced Tuner
    You get same numbers because it doesn't know you have changed the cam grind.
    So you have to work backwards from full advance.
    On the 6.2 it is 134 but on your 5.7 it thinks full advance still is 125.
    So 134 is now 125..a 9 deg offset.
    If you want to use 6.2 cam tables, take 9 degs out of entire exh tables and cam will now be in same actual position in the 5.7 engine as 6.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    I know the differences between cams, just don't know why desired/actual exhaust angle at idle still read like a 5.7 cam despite importing values from a 6.2 (HC) stock tune? At idle 6.2/6.4 is at full cam advance ~134 degree exhaust but on a 5.7 it is ~125 degrees exhaust. One would think swapping the tables would now cause the PCM to register full advance as ~134 degrees exhaust but it does not.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemituna View Post
    If you want to use 6.2 cam tables, take 9 degs out of entire exh tables and cam will now be in same actual position in the 5.7 engine as 6.2.
    Yeah I thought changing the lock pin and phaser values of the 5.7 with that of the 6.2 would have updated the lock pin value but I guess it does not. Guess I am going to go back to stock values and make note of the offset and tune from there. Thanks for input!

Tuner in Training
    5.7 PCM will show full advanced at 125. Like Hemituna stated, treat 125 as 134 and work down from that.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hemituna View Post
    you get same numbers because it doesn't know you have changed the cam grind.
    Thanks! Do you know if there is an offset table that can be adjusted to fix the numbers in the other tables?

Advanced Tuner
    That is what I thought the lock-pin max was for but looking at a 6.4 tune both the 5.7 and 6.4 have identical lock-pin (120) and phaser (85) max settings yet the 6.4 sees 134 at start-up/idle. Would be nice to have it mapped out to change it but have no clue if it is possible.

One thing I was wondering is if the scat pack stage 2 cam shaft offered by mopar had the same lsa as the standard 5.7 cam? If not I wonder how the stage 2 PCM hands the change?
    Last edited by Homer; 10-15-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Hey Homer,

Here is read from 2016 Charger R/T that had Scat Pack Stage 3 kit installed. You'll see cam tables are the same as stock.16LD57A8-SCAT-STAGE3.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    There is not, you are going to have to use your brain

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    Thanks! Do you know if there is an offset table that can be adjusted to fix the numbers in the other tables?

Advanced Tuner
    Use the 6.2 WOT numbers with the 9 deg offset.
    Transpose those same numbers into PT tables...The cam will now only move a few degrees
    Blown engines work way better like this.
    The crazy PT numbers are for emissions...it will respond/perform better and get better economy moving the cam less... believe it or not.

Yeah I thought changing the lock pin and phaser values of the 5.7 with that of the 6.2 would have updated the lock pin value but I guess it does not. Guess I am going to go back to stock values and make note of the offset and tune from there. Thanks for input!

Advanced Tuner
    Transpose those same numbers into PT tables...The cam will now only move a few degrees
    The crazy PT numbers are for emissions...it will respond/perform better and get better economy moving the cam less... believe it or not.
    Yup, I saw your posts recommending this to other members. I know it is not a "performance" cam but I swear the car feels like it has some balls...not bad for a budget cam. I did notice that compared to the 5.7/6.4...the 6.2 barely moves the cam and when it does move it, it seems to retard it a little at lower RPMs and advance it a little at higher RPMs. Really want to get this thing dyno tuned but not sure who in the chicagoland area is proficient at tuning non-HC, FI Hemis?

Advanced Tuner
    Oh yeah, setting PT like you said makes the engine run better...simply runs smoother and snappier. Thanks again Hemituna!

Tuner

Exhaust Tables

This post is very helpful... sorry to be late to the show.

Exactly which tables would I be subtracting the 9 degrees from?

Which tables are you referring to as PT tables?

Cam Tables.jpg
    Last edited by rich s; 12-17-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rich s View Post
    This post is very helpful... sorry to be late to the show.

Exactly which tables would I be subtracting the 9 degrees from?

Which tables are you referring to as PT tables?

Cam Tables.jpg
    The -9 degree applies to all exhaust VVT tables.

Tuner
    The -9 degree applies to all exhaust VVT tables.
    Awesome. Thank you!

Tuner
    Homer did you apply the -9 degrees to the "Calibrated" table also?

Tuner in Training
    Copy all the 6.2 tables over. Then highlight entire tables and -9 from them

hey guys i'm in the process of doing the same cam swap , from what everyone has suggested i have to modify the idle fueling as it will be richer down low and on cruising so my question is how can i modify the idle and cruise fueling if im using ANN do i have to rescale the Fuelmass vs pwm or is there a table i can modify just like the PE table . i searched and went over the file a thousand time already
    so other than the vvt and idle/cruise fueling what needs to change ?

Tuner in Training
    There is an awesome thread here on ANN tuning. It's linked in the pinned post