Thread: 2001 Chevy 5.3L automatic to manual conversion question

Potential Tuner

2001 Chevy 5.3L automatic to manual conversion question

Hello,
    I have a gen 3 5.3L engine mated to a Porsche 930 manual transaxle. The tune file is from a stock 2001 GMC Yukon which was mated to an automatic transmission. The VE and MAF tables are dialed in (ported heads, cam, LS6 intake installed backwards, and headers) but I am experiencing an annoying idle problem where the desired idle speed will increase by 125 rpm after running the engine for a short amount of time. Reading through several posts I'm gathering that I should be looking for a comparable vehicle with a stock manual tune? VSS is also not wired in so the PCM does not know how fast the vehicle is moving.

If I do need to change over to a manual tune is there any way to do this without having to purchase another 2 credits?

I went to HP Tuners repository and grabbed a 2000 Camaro manual tune. Changed all the values in the transmission section over to the Camaros manual tune. Problem persisted.

Tried to do a transmission segment swap within HP Tuners using the previously mentioned 2000 Camaro manual and it would not give me the option to do so.

When I log manual trans gear and auto trans drive inside the scanner they both change rapidly back and forth from yes to no. The PRNDL status stays on D4.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Greg
    Last edited by gb8118; 09-18-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Potential Tuner

2001 GMC Yukon stock file

This is my tune file I am using
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    To do a segment swap the Operating System (OS) of both tunes needs to match.