Thread: 2006 Jeep Wrangler w/Banks Turbo

Tuner in Training

2006 Jeep Wrangler w/Banks Turbo

Hi all. First post so please forgive me if it's not in the correct sub forum. My jeep is currently tuned with a Diablo In tune 3 and a Banks custom tune. I am switching to HP Tuners and have purchased a MPVI2 with 2 universal credits. Can I read the Diablo tune from the PCM to HPT, modify it and then write the modified tune back to the PCM? I don't care about losing the Diablo I3 or reselling it. I am hesitant about reloading the stock tune from the I3 to the PCM because last time I fooled with it my vehicle was down for 2 weeks and I spent countless hours on the phone with Diablo tech support because the stupid thing kept locking me out for whatever reason and each time needed a new unlock code. Recap...will I be able to read the Diablo Turbo tune from the PCM using HPT, modify it and write the tune back to the PCM using HPT without unmarrying the Diablo I3?

Potential Tuner
    Got the same question, I have a 2006 Jeep LJ with the Banks turbo and would a tuning option beyond Diablo. Please keep me posted on your progress. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Will do. I was talked into upgrading to the I3 by Diablo because they assured me the I3 had adjustable transmission parameters which it does not. I'd like to keep my turbo tune as is other than adjustments to the shift points to make the 42RLE more driver friendly.

Tuner in Training
    The HP Tuners read the vehicle without a hitch with the Diablo tune in the PCM. Trying to figure out now what I need to change in the 3-4 upshift and 4-3 downshift hot schedule before I attempt to write back to the PCM. Trying to be careful not to brick the PCM as we know how hard a good '05-'06 auto PCM is to come by these days lol.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LJTurbo View Post
    Got the same question, I have a 2006 Jeep LJ with the Banks turbo and would a tuning option beyond Diablo. Please keep me posted on your progress. Thanks
    LJTurbo I can confirm that HP Tuners can read the Diablo Banks tune from the PCM and write a modified TCM tune separately back to the PCM. You can also modify the ECM tune but I wanted to leave the Banks portion of the tune alone. I didn't unmarry the Diablo I3 so it's useless now but it is possible. I just didn't want to chance getting locked out of it and spending hours on the phone with Diablo tech support. You will need the MPVI2 and 2 universal credits.

Advanced Tuner
    For a minute there I thought the OP was responding to his own posts...there seems to be a doppelganger effect here.

Tuner in Training
    TJ vs LJ not much different lol.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TJTurbo View Post
    TJ vs LJ not much different lol.
    Thanks TJ Turbo, I will be ordering a HP tomorrow. Were you able to see and modify the tack? one additional problem I may have is that my pcm has been replaced with a ?rebuild?.

Tuner in Training
    I don't think the rebuilt PCM will give you an issue. I have not messed with the engine side at all yet really, only the transmission shift points. Next step for me is trying to get the a/c clutch to disengage under heavy throttle/higher RPMs. So far I'm really happy with this product.

Potential Tuner
    Ordered my HP Tuner today, thanks again for the updates. My first task will be shift points also and engine load calculations. Talked to Banks tech yesterday and they have discontinued the SideWinder Kit. Seems on pre 2005 Jeeps TJ are failing smog tests and on the 2005/2006 their own test mule LJ is having the same problems as ours.

HP Tuner to the rescue. Let’s keep this thread active, the Banks kit is well engineered but it is going to be up to the community to support programming as the buggy Diablo tune is a disaster.

Tuner in Training
    If you need any help on the shift points let me know. The RPMs in the shift tables are the output shaft RPMs...I made a simple Excel file to convert those to engine RPMs. I've got the shift points pretty much nailed down on mine. No more high load/high IAT situations and no more 3/4 throttle to the floor to get the 4-3 downshift.

Potential Tuner

Shift points

Quote Originally Posted by TJTurbo View Post
    If you need any help on the shift points let me know. The RPMs in the shift tables are the output shaft RPMs...I made a simple Excel file to convert those to engine RPMs. I've got the shift points pretty much nailed down on mine. No more high load/high IAT situations and no more 3/4 throttle to the floor to get the 4-3 downshift.
    Hey I would like to see that table along with your new shift points. Also what have you changed to cure the high load/ high IAT problem. Thanks
    Last edited by LJTurbo; 11-01-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LJTurbo View Post
    Hey I would like to see that table along with your new shift points. Also what have you changed to cure the high load/ high IAT problem. Thanks
    I'll need an email address to send you the conversion table Excel file and please note it's only for the 4-3 downshift. The 3-4 upshift is pretty easy because the ratio is 1:1. I did change the 1-2 and 2-3 as well and I will send you those exact settings. The high load high IAT is mainly caused by being in too high of gear most of the time as you will notice the IATs decrease once your light on the peddle cruising with a little vacuum instead of boost. I'd also like to know what your differential gear ratio and tire size is as I may be able to give you some pointers there. Mines 4:88 with 32" tires. I'll try to get back on this evening and send you all that information after work.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry it took me so long to post this for you LJ. My settings are:

Normal (1-2) 0/576. 10/576. 32/1088. 60/1440. 80/1600. 100s 1600.

Normal (2-3) 0/896. 10/992. 35/1888. 60/2528. 80/2912. 100s/2912.

Hot (3-4) 0/1600. 10/1984. 30/3200. 45/3808. 68/4192. 100s/4320.

Hot (4-3) 0/1216. 25/2496. 60/3488. 70/3968. 80s and 100s/3968.

The downshifts may seem aggressive at first until you get used to not having to darn near floor it to initiate a downshift. Looking forward to hearing your results and tweaks to the settings.

Potential Tuner
    Are those numbers output shaft or engine rpm?

Tuner in Training
    Output shaft. These are the exact numbers I have input into the tune file.

I would be interested in looking at your trans spreadsheet as well. hoosierdade1979 at yahoo com is the email. Did you figure out a way to command later lockup of the torque converter? I have been playing with the numbers trying to get a change but, nothing yet.

Tuner in Training
    I did not get anywhere with the later TC lock up. I will email you the shift RPM conversion tables and my final settings after work today. Keep in mind my settings are for 32" tires and 4.88 gears. Honestly how I have it set up I don't feel the need to mess with TC lock up. Knock on wood my transmission is holding up with almost 120,000 miles on the clock and about 5000 of those are since changing the settings with regular beatings 😁.