Thread: how to install flex fuel tune in 6.4 ?

how to install flex fuel tune in 6.4 ?

ok so we got the content sensor installed have a electronic gauge inside the car that reads the content. have a pump gas tune and a ethanol tune up to 75% content, anything higher I have to richen it up some more and can add couple degrees of more timing . anything lower content and obv have to take some out.

so I see you can "enable flex fuel" on hp tuners what exactly does this do /? how do you enable your PCM to scale your tune based of content
    ?

the car doesn't have a factor flex sensor obv and the 5v signal lime just goes to the gauge. so how does the car know what's going on in order to adjust parameters ?

Advanced Tuner
    curious as well

Senior Tuner
    I wouldn't try it on a non Hellcat unless you can also get the car running off widebands. I guess you could with just narrowbands to learn the ethanol but not having WOT fueling correction and it potentially being off is a bit more concerning, especially with boost. If a Hellcat learns ethanol content off a bit it isn't really a big deal because it has widebands to bring fueling back to where you want WOT

Advanced Tuner
    So is it possible to get a non-HC to run wideband O2s using a HC engine harness and enabling them in the PCM?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    So is it possible to get a non-HC to run wideband O2s using a HC engine harness and enabling them in the PCM?
    Wondering this as well, also curious if you could get the PCM to read wideband through the odbii.

Senior Tuner
    I've been wanting to run widebands like Hellcat on boosted Scat Packs for a long time but have never spent any time experimenting with it. I would imagine there is something that would need changed in the tune we don't see from the looks of it.

Advanced Tuner
    Is the stock scat pack PCM capable of reading additional WB? how close in similarities are the hellcat PCM and what pack PCM?? One wouldn't think it be just as easy to swap harnesses and pcm?? Would the pcm still communicate with the rest of the car?? Lots of questions.....

Senior Tuner
    No idea really. Hellcat has more sensors so if you swapped to Hellcat PCM things would have to be disabled or added. There are several ideas I have about it but have never tried. Wish it was as easy as having some tables added to the PCM and wiring it to a particular pin on the PCM but hard to tell.

on a flex fuel car the flex sensor sends signal to the PCM which in turn makes the adjustments based of the content it senses. the vehicle does have a aftermarket Wideband installed so I'm assuming the output would get wired into the HP tuners Pro cable /? but that's only for logging purposes. so again my question without factor widebands and without a signal wire going from the sensor to the PCM how would it be possible to get a non hellcat car set up on flex ? FYI I also see people doing this kit from advanced fuel dynamics or something like that , looks like a piggy back harness that goes to the fuel injectors which seems great and all it can scale the fueling based off the content it senses but again the benefits of E85 would be increased timing, so without the pcm getting a signal from that and a table set up based off content percentages how does that kit even work timing wise ? lots of questions

Advanced Tuner
    In *THEORY* you should be able to use the narrow bands and allow the PCM to calculate fuel content via fuel trim corrections. That is how the 3.6 Pentastar works and it should work for other applications.

Those Continenetal content sensors really are pretty sketchy. They are not reading the amount of ethanol, they are reading the amount of gasoline and subtracting, so anything that is not gasoline will be calculated as ethanol, even tap water.

I have looked into it and it seems plausible to steal the data from a 3.6 Flex tune and load it into a 5.7 or 6.4 once the patch is applied, but I have not tried it yet.

I still need to upgrade the fuel system to the point that it could add enough fuel for E85. I don't beleive the stock injectors on a 6.4 are up to the task.

Advanced Tuner
    To answer your question "What does it do?" It adds parameters to a few of the tables. Grab a copy of your current tune and follow the directions where it says to save that copy under a new name. Then run compare and see what changed.

Some interesting tables up in there.....

we have the contential sensor wired to a gauge in the glove box, injectors are stock along with fuel pump. , I can get away with up to 70% content . anything higher it starts to lean out towards 6k rpm, 65% and fine all day, I would really recommend a larger injector but stocks are capable of decent amount.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    In *THEORY* you should be able to use the narrow bands and allow the PCM to calculate fuel content via fuel trim corrections. That is how the 3.6 Pentastar works and it should work for other applications.

Those Continenetal content sensors really are pretty sketchy. They are not reading the amount of ethanol, they are reading the amount of gasoline and subtracting, so anything that is not gasoline will be calculated as ethanol, even tap water.

I have looked into it and it seems plausible to steal the data from a 3.6 Flex tune and load it into a 5.7 or 6.4 once the patch is applied, but I have not tried it yet.

I still need to upgrade the fuel system to the point that it could add enough fuel for E85. I don't beleive the stock injectors on a 6.4 are up to the task.
    I have tried this recently on a 6.4, and it actually works quite well, but your VE tables need to be almost perfect on 93 0% ethanol first and then you have to make sure it has learned the ethanol content before getting into open loop WOT.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceyrider View Post
    I have tried this recently on a 6.4, and it actually works quite well, but your VE tables need to be almost perfect on 93 0% ethanol first and then you have to make sure it has learned the ethanol content before getting into open loop WOT.
    I'm actually surprised to hear that it works well. Would have thought the +30% trims required to correct the fueling between E0 and E85 would have thrown a "too lean" code.

Advanced Tuner
    That is how flex works. If it is reading say 10-20-30% lean, it assumes you are running E10-E40-E85 and changes stoich to suit until the trims are back in the 0-5% range again.
    Does same thing with all E percentages...That is why it pays to have your gas fueling dialled within a few % before going flex so to get an accurate E %.
    Works best on engines with factory widebands as PT and WOT fueling chases lambda target so chances of messing up are minimised.

Potential Tuner
    "I have looked into it and it seems plausible to steal the data from a 3.6 Flex tune and load it into a 5.7 or 6.4 once the patch is applied..."
    Are you referring to the same patch Hellcats use, that specifically says it's only for Hellcats?
    Link?
    Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gfolsom View Post
    "I have looked into it and it seems plausible to steal the data from a 3.6 Flex tune and load it into a 5.7 or 6.4 once the patch is applied..."
    Are you referring to the same patch Hellcats use, that specifically says it's only for Hellcats?
    Link?
    Thanks
    I've yet to try it on a non hellcat (I didn't have a great experience with my hellcat) But it can be done on non hellcats as well.

Yes the hellcats use a wideband and run in closed loop all the time, but as long as injector data is solid, it will work fine on a non hellcat as well. Lambda is Lambda and that what the O2s are reading. You just don't have as much room for error with a narrow band.

I would not attempt a flex tune on a boosted non hellcat vehicle. I'm not sure if the narrow bands can respond quick enough