Thread: Are B8 (2010) A5's 2.0TFSI supported?

Potential Tuner

Are B8 (2010) A5's 2.0TFSI supported?

07-18 A4 2.0L TFSI (B8) (MED17.1.1) are supported, but does this mean the 2010 Audi A5's 2.0TFSI are supported as well?

Advanced Tuner
    I?ll see if I can find one locally and hook up to it 👍 do you have an interface yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Lethalw69 View Post
    07-18 A4 2.0L TFSI (B8) (MED17.1.1) are supported, but does this mean the 2010 Audi A5's 2.0TFSI are supported as well?
    They should be supportable as well, that said I do not believe we have any definitions for them at this time.
    If its not broke, just give it time.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerJDubbs View Post
    I?ll see if I can find one locally and hook up to it 👍 do you have an interface yet?
    Dude, you'll be my hero. I have the original pro interface, but now I'm contemplating doing the upgrade if it works for my a5.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@HPTuners View Post
    They should be supportable as well, that said I do not believe we have any definitions for them at this time.
    Ok.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@HPTuners View Post
    Steven,

Has this changed at all? I am looking to jump off the Eurodyne ship and set sail with HP Tuners, but the lack of even a baseline tune to start from has me concerned. I'm not seeing a lot of chatter in the forums for anything Audi, much less CAEB based.

You are correct in that the A4 and A5 in those years are virtually indistinguishable (CAEB is a CAEB), but it's nice to get an official nod before jumping the shark!

Thanks!

Ken

Tuner
    I jumped ship the other day and ordered my box of goodies... I sure hope the CAEB with it's ValveLift is easily read... not looking to waste the $$!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerJDubbs View Post
    I?ll see if I can find one locally and hook up to it �� do you have an interface yet?
    Tyler,

Did you ever get your hands on one to check? I'm going to be in the Kiddie Pool for a while here but looking forward to the possibilities!

Thanks!

Ken

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Botbasher View Post
    I jumped ship the other day and ordered my box of goodies... I sure hope the CAEB with it's ValveLift is easily read... not looking to waste the $$!
    The CAEB in the B8 A4 is definitely supported... I own one and have had much success with it. I supposed it's possible there's some tiny difference in the A5 that would make it not work, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Tuner
    Hey ELaw!

Hope you and yours are doing well in these crazy times!!

I finally got my gear but ran into a little problem. You might be able to help.

I connected to and tried to read, but it gave me an error "Could not read your configuration". I presume that this is from it having an existing Stage 2 tune on it and being locked.

I am not worried about losing my tune (I have the software to go with it) but I am worried about doing this with no base tune to come back to if it draws a blank.

Would you happen to have images of your stock tune? I'm going to eventually transfer the existing Stage 1, 2 and K04 tunes I have over, but I just hate starting out with no net below and no experience with the software to fall back on.

Thanks for any info and assistance!

Cheers and stay well!

Ken

Tuner
    Hmm... that's a little odd as I thought at least for the engine, when HP "reads your ECU" what it actually does is download a file from their server with the factory calibration?

Anyhow, I'm attaching my original file from the A4. Before you try to burn it to your ECU, if you have a VCDS you might want to use it to verify your ECU hardware and software part numbers are the same. Here's the info from my car:
    Code:
    Address 01: Engine (0-----CAEB)       Labels:| 06H-907-115-CAB.clb
       Part No SW: 8K2 907 115 AG    HW: 8K2 907 115 D
       Component: 2.0l R4/4V TF X20 0002  
       Revision: E1X20---    
       Coding: 0104010A290F0160
       Shop #: WSC 04919 000 00000
       ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TFS0118K2907115AG 001002
       ROD: EV_ECM20TFS0118K2907115AG.rod
       VCID: 74A41BC2DF95EBEF8D-8020
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    Thanks for the response ELaw!

Yes, I have the 8K2907115AG ECU (known from previous tune info) and a 6MT box attached to it. I do not know why it would not read it other than it being locked from the previous tune. Maybe I was out of my WiFi range... I'll have to attempt the read again and take better notes!

I'll check it again, but thanks for the base to leap from!

Cheers!

Ken

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
    when HP "reads your ECU" what it actually does is download a file from their server with the factory calibration?
    On my CETA engine, HPT *is* actually reading the ECU, not downloading a stock file from a server somewhere (a.k.a., doing a "virtual read"). I'd be surprised HPT aren't doing the same for your cars too, considering we're all basically running the same MED17.1 software.

I would definitely work with HPT before assuming that a tuner lock is preventing you from reading the ECU. You could be running a slightly different software version that HPT needs to account for in order to successfully read from the car.

Tuner
    Well it's also possible that something changed over time... it was many months ago (= many versions of VCM suite ago) that I first read my A4. But my recollection from that time is that "reading" the ECU went surprisingly fast (like 3 or 4 seconds) and that there was some sort of message it that it had read a "stock file" and not actually the data from my ECU.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
    Well it's also possible that something changed over time... it was many months ago (= many versions of VCM suite ago) that I first read my A4. But my recollection from that time is that "reading" the ECU went surprisingly fast (like 3 or 4 seconds) and that there was some sort of message it that it had read a "stock file" and not actually the data from my ECU.
    Oh interesting, that certainly sounds like a virtual read. I'm curious if you try reading again with a newer version if you see the same thing.

I bought a used ECU a while back and cloned my original so that I would have a backup if anything went wrong. I had to find some MED17.X immobilizer disabling software to modify the flash in order to actually start the car with the cloned ECU, so I assumed a virtual read couldn't work on MED17 ECUs. Although I suppose there could be other ways around that, like only ever modifying maps that would avoid triggering the immobilizer, or just disabling the immobilizer if users try to do a "write entire" with a virtual read from a different vehicle.