Thread: tuning for larger injectors

Potential Tuner

tuning for larger injectors

so ive been working on my tune for a little while and as soon as I start getting somewhere it seems one little thing throws me all the way off...when I finally got my truck back together I was chasing my tail pretty bad so I asked a friend for advice and heres what he told me...so say my yr made 365hp and I added 100hp injectors, 465/365=1.2739% more fuel everywhere after explaining this I was advised to pull 27% fuel everywhere but WOT...this did help with haze and a little white smoke which turned to black but as I began to up the timing it began to get quicker and quicker so I began adjusting other things like my rail pressure and limiters and quickly realized where I was making the best power I figured out how to get the truck to hang out there and it runs better at WOT, but when driving normal I just feel like its off a little and to be totally honest I believe im leaving a lot of power on the table somewhere, at WOT it smokes a good strong black solid hard pressurized stream but in higher gear and mph it begins to turn a little grey...any help or advice of where to start if I start from scratch would be greatly appreciated I would honestly like to start from the beginning again and try a different route, thanks guys

Banned
    That whole formula of 465/365=1.2739% more fuel everywhere, throw it out the window because it?s false.

Look at how most rate their injectors, % over stock at 100MPa. At 100MPa. How does that translate to equal amount of more fuel everywhere?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    That whole formula of 465/365=1.2739% more fuel everywhere, throw it out the window because it?s false.

Look at how most rate their injectors, % over stock at 100MPa. At 100MPa. How does that translate to equal amount of more fuel everywhere?
    ok that makes sense to me...so with 100hp injectors 33%over pump and 200gph lift pump, box borg 66/74/80 t4 .91 where should I begin bc with stock pw im getting white smoke during normal driving and no smoke at WOT until high gear but its a complete turd lol, I mean pulling 27% most everywhere it hauls decent ass but it feels like its being held back and sounds like it wants something...FUEL!!! lol

Potential Tuner
    id love to post u my tune and a couple data logs but im quite computer eliterate so maybe some help with that also....plz

Tuner
    have to use go advanced , next to post quick reply. click on paper clip next to smiley face. use add file to find and upload tune and log file. then you have to drag them to attachment box, then click done

Banned
    33% over cp3 sounds like you got industrial injection fuel parts, those will turn anything into a turd lol. You are possibly up against limiters but without seeing your tune can?t really say much.

Your peak duration, run it from 2500-2800 microseconds and peak timing start around 32-34*, peak rail pressure at 175MPa. On the duration table starting from 100MPa and 70mm3 blend it up some upwards to peak duration cell. Fatten up rail pressure in the upper end along with timing.

Banned
    2800 microseconds duration will be a hot tune

Potential Tuner
    up high 75% at WOT governors and limiters changed MY TIMING!! my fuel pressure (1).hpt this is what I came up with listening to my buddy...which I was told was incorrect, and thought as much when cruising aroundAA2 new tune 20 main timing 12 pilot timing 2700us @WOT raised rail pressure, blended pw upper, .hptthis is what I came up with from your advice jim p truck is a different animal and as of now the timing is way way low, thank u jim p for real from everything I read I was on the way to hurting my truck, and wasting a lot of money that of which I don't have!! lol

Potential Tuner
    pull with my timing shifting manually.hpl75% throttle justin timing.hplneighborhood hit funky pilot tune.hplheres a couple log files from the tune I did wrong, theres a couple changes between the 3 log files but overall the same tune...im going to do a couple pulls on the new tune and ill post those up, im working on another variation of the new tune using jims advice once I get the timing table done and loaded ill upload those logs...again thanks for all the help!! I was getting quite frustrated, I consider myself a decent gas engine tuner yet this truck had me going in circles and getting nowhere fast. I would change stuff and it would haul ass but it just didn't feel right, I loaded new tune with mild timing but hot fuel, drove it to the store and it was a whole new monster, it no longer felt as if it was fighting itself!! cant wait to see what it does when I get the timing up where its supposed to be!!

Banned
    Good to hear you got it going in the right direction now 👍🏻

What is the year of your dodge?

Banned

Banned
    Not overly horrible, get more aggressive with your timing up top though. Made a few limiter corrections for you so it's not wanting to pull fuel away based on rpm. I'll leave the rest for you to tinker with.

AA2 new tune 20 main timing 12 pilot timing 2700us @WOT raised rail pressure, blended pw upper .hpt

I copied this tune Jim. It runs really nice, however does smoke a fair bit. Can you take a look at my log file and see what looks off? I also attached my tune for reference. The last event in the log really lays down a heavy smoke screen. Again, this tune yields really good power and low rattle, so I would love to try and keep working with it.

I am at about 10k ft elevation with 50hp bms injectors that I am now stuck with unfortunately.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

Advanced Tuner
    Im no expert, but wouldn't it help you with the smoke if you went into the boost limit a table and reduced the max amout of fuel it can get when you are lower in the rpm and lower in boost

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I copied this tune Jim. It runs really nice, however does smoke a fair bit. Can you take a look at my log file and see what looks off? I also attached my tune for reference. The last event in the log really lays down a heavy smoke screen. Again, this tune yields really good power and low rattle, so I would love to try and keep working with it.

I am at about 10k ft elevation with 50hp bms injectors that I am now stuck with unfortunately.
    I?ll take a look some time this evening Noah.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_axberg View Post
    Im no expert, but wouldn't it help you with the smoke if you went into the boost limit a table and reduced the max amout of fuel it can get when you are lower in the rpm and lower in boost
    To a degree, you will hit a point where you begin sacrificing response and the ability to get the truck moving. Better off controlling through timing, duration and rail pressure.

Banned
    Noah, it looks to be running pretty decent. You are really easy on the throttle though so it?s hard to get a bigger picture of things. I can see you need to tweaking to your rail pressure control in some spots but for how you drove it in that log it doesn?t look too bad. Looks like you could potentially have some smoke going on at time marker 2:58.048 and most definitely at time marker 3:01.863.