Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powerstroke 6.7 2012 MM3

Tuner

Powerstroke 6.7 2012 MM3

I am running stock timing smoothed out with - negative set to 1.5 in cruising area my Torque to fuel is mostly stock I have looked at a few other tunes and when I tried 125 mm3 at wot it seems to be like it is to much to fast and I?ve noticed I can hear combustion like trucks that are stock still at mid range when giving fuel my old street tune was much quieter and had much more high end power and would dump smoke once W/O I cannot get a puff is timing the culprit I?m thinking I need to add fuel 1st then timing but I have been wrong before 🤔
    Last edited by Jeffrey Kavney; 09-25-2019 at 03:09 PM.

You may be hitting a limiter, also a lot of times pilot injection turns off at high load and rpm so that could be the extra noise. have you changed up the IPW table? rail pressure?

Tuner
    When I did it was not running right so I am adding to my stock timing I believe my truck being 2012 hits fuel limit at 1.5 us now the truck is running good I?m going to add a little pulse but I?m not sure if I should only increase WOT area till about 3,800 or across more of the table?

Check your smoke limiters. What are they set to? Let's break down all the ways these trucks can get fuel added. I know you can add fuel by increasing torque to fuel quantity. You can also add injector PW, and finally by changing the MAF curve. Which way is the best way to do so and why? I persoanlly leave PW alone and add fuel to the tq to fuel table and use the smoke limiters to limit. Now i could fine tune my commanded lambda by changing either injector pw or my MAF curve correct? Which way is better and why? Feel free to correct anything that i've said that is wrong. I'm curious how everyone is doing it and why.

Tuner
    I would think the MAF could fool the truck to let it dump I set my Lambda from low RPM 8.9 next to 6.0 wot 4.0
    But it is fighting me great response with stock timing adding MM3 torque to fuel and moved boost limits up a little I just haven?t been able to find anything on what way to move the airflow vs period
    Kind though that might be where tuners adjust for cold air intake I also get a stumble when started warm like one of my timing maps are off or not set correctly

I have a 2019 with an SB intake and another modification. I only adjust Tq2Fuel Config 1 Mode 0, 1032 row to 160 and bump it and smooth it a little bit below that. I leave the Smoke Limiter stock, I lowered it since they call it Lambda but I think it acts like Eq ratio not Lambda since it did not get richer when lower. I haven't tried raising it yet.

I set all the TqMngt tables to 1032 from 1400 to 3200 (give or take), I set Max Boost to 50 and set the 1032 row to 45 from 1400 to 3200 and lower the boost a little off idle and cruise and smooth them together.

Timing, I have stock because it runs and sounds better that way. I feel like if I start adjusting main timing too much then I will have to also mess with Pre and Post Timing also and I am not into that.

I feel like the truck runs awesome like this and that Ford did a good job setting it up in stock form honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    I have a 2019 with an SB intake and another modification. I only adjust Tq2Fuel Config 1 Mode 0, 1032 row to 160 and bump it and smooth it a little bit below that. I leave the Smoke Limiter stock, I lowered it since they call it Lambda but I think it acts like Eq ratio not Lambda since it did not get richer when lower. I haven't tried raising it yet.

I set all the TqMngt tables to 1032 from 1400 to 3200 (give or take), I set Max Boost to 50 and set the 1032 row to 45 from 1400 to 3200 and lower the boost a little off idle and cruise and smooth them together.

Timing, I have stock because it runs and sounds better that way. I feel like if I start adjusting main timing too much then I will have to also mess with Pre and Post Timing also and I am not into that.

I feel like the truck runs awesome like this and that Ford did a good job setting it up in stock form honestly.
    Did you hit your commanded fuel? If you're hitting your target fuel set in your tq2fuel map, i don't think you'd get richer by lowering the limiter as it's not in effect just yet, That is my experience so far anyways. Does anyone know how that lambda limiter is being set or calculated? What tables does it use to find lambda? I don't think it's actual lambda readings from a sensor, i think it's based off a calculation from the MAF and PW tables, maybe something else as well. My main timing is at 10* on the hit or 2k rpm and goes up to 21* by 3200rpm. My tq2fuel is at 173mg @1032tq from 1600rpm to 3400rpm and @885tq it's @137mg @ 1600rpm and ramps up with rpm going to 155mg @3400rpm. Lambda limiters are at .82@2000rpm and drops down to .71 diagonally going to the bottom right corner. When i set my limiter to .71 from .75 soot production went up quite a bit. So i think i'll dial the tq2fuel back some until it's gone. Haven't gone on the dyno on this tune yet but i'd guess 1100-1150tq and 550-570hp. It rips for sure more timing coming soon. Btw these trucks love timing, it's crazy how much they wake up. I still have trans truncation enable so it pulls the fuel back sometimes as well.

Tuner
    After zeroing out all timing table maps but Map 1 smoothed negative to about 1.7 and a little 2 degrees were I thought injection pulse was increasing and added Torque to Fuel 125MM3 and boost table limit from 50 to 65 injection pulse in 120-140 column 5% I have to say it?s a very nice Street Tune very clean 18-21 MPG
    2012 F250

Tuner
    Also disabled a few 02 sensors in DCT noticed idol seemed lower but better messing with airflow vs period curve to seems like higher 1500-1700 idol rpms seemed bit higher hazing more or it could just be totally wrong any information I?ve found is on mustangs or coyote nothing for powerstroke

Here is my timing map that will see 21* during pulls. It took me a while to get my timing to ramp up smoothly and this is the 3d view of it which actually helps a lot with understanding why. Timing.jpg

Tuner
    Very surprised I didn?t think the - value we for anything but emissions but it looks like you are using timing to crank up the turbo you have the newer Turbo I?ve been looking at the 15 convention because I know it?s just a matter of time with the 11-12 turbo I really appreciate your knowledge 💯

Tuner
    After using the Map as a guide a little less timing but same kind shape with the smooth valleys in cruising area and I messed with my post and pilot a little bit and am very happy with the results I keep rail pressure and runs so smooth the idol is we?re i noticed the 1st improvement very little noise as I?m also running a Rumble i think the post was the biggest improvement seems like the warmer cylinder walls just run smoother
    Last edited by Jeffrey Kavney; 09-29-2019 at 06:24 PM.

That's good to hear, you'll also notice the truck switches timing and fuel pressure maps at idle after a little bit of no input on either the gas or brake pedals. I don't know if it's the same map on the 12s as these 17-19 trucks but watch your idle timing and fuel pressure change when this happens. It takes roughly 1-2 minutes of idling without input to do it. I hated the way it sounded when it switched maps. I think the reason they do it is so the DPF and cat stay warm so it's ready to go 24/7. I just changed mine to match the main timing map and now you can't tell it switches. Occasionally it does a VGT reset/sweep when it changes between these maps but the idle stays smooth as can be! It was going to 1.8* of timing instead of -1* making it noisy. BTW adding or subtracting fuel to the pilot can make it louder and so can retarding the pilot. In order to truly dial in the pilot mass and timing you need to see cylinder pressure. Your goal is to get a smooth rise in cylinder pressure and in return you get a quiet and smooth ignition with less Nox gas being produced. This is why injector delay data is so important on these trucks. Gale banks has a video where he shows the injector's delay and you can see the slight halt in the rise of cylinder pressure because it's off ever so slightly.
    Last edited by JaegerWrenching; 09-29-2019 at 09:48 PM.

Tuner
    I?ve noticed that if it?s really hot outside it changes also was going through MAP 1 injection timing I noticed a map with as much as -12 timing I was wondering if that?s for starting or warm up being it would be shooting fire out the exhaust and warm up the DPF or just make a really easy start? Also if I adjust my fuel pressure up will the ECM compensate injector pulse.now that I?m kinda satisfied( if there is such a thing)with performance I am going to try tuning my trans to match the added torque I can feel it pulse and it lugs into 6th gear
    Last edited by Jeffrey Kavney; 09-30-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Kavney View Post
    I?ve noticed that if it?s really hot outside it changes also was going through MAP 1 injection timing I noticed a map with as much as -12 timing I was wondering if that?s for starting or warm up being it would be shooting fire out the exhaust and warm up the DPF or just make a really easy start? Also if I adjust my fuel pressure up will the ECM compensate injector pulse.now that I?m kinda satisfied( if there is such a thing)with performance I am going to try tuning my trans to match the added torque I can feel it pulse and it lugs into 6th gear
    Yes your truck will compensate for fuel pressure correctly if you don't touch the PW table. That's why your PW table is Pressure vs MM3, it's also why i don't mess with that table because it throws off any chance of calculating amounts of fuel. For racing it's not a big deal but for daily driving and tq2fuel accuracy i don't like it. -12* of timing is for regen, it could be for regen warm up,maintain, or cool down. I'd see -25* in certain areas while in regen. I also had people say they only spray extra fuel into the rear cylinders for regen and that's not true. If anything is added it's added in all cylinders equally. Also In cold weather or cold start's you're going to advance timing to get the flame to travel faster. It's very slow to react when cold. There is also a correlating fuel table with higher pressure to get better atomization of the fuel which helps as well.
    Last edited by JaegerWrenching; 09-30-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Tuner
    I am going to try adjusting my MAF before I take the truck on a road trip this weekend I have the truck running really strong I lowered boost in 800-1000 Rpm area not quite low boost fueling but enough so the truck is not producing soot I have a 2012 but have a copie of 2013 street tune that? really helped me find the limiters I hadn?t properly adjusted to let truck make power. The torque to fuel at 1033 axis is topped out at 115 MM3 on the tune I was using a reference do you think I can push that up to 130-140 MM3
    Last edited by Jeffrey Kavney; 10-15-2019 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Kavney View Post
    I am going to try adjusting my MAF before I take the truck on a road trip this weekend I have the truck running really strong I lowered boost in 800-1000 Rpm area not quite low boost fueling but enough so the truck is not producing soot I have a 2012 but have a copie of 2013 street tune that? really helped me find the limiters I hadn?t properly adjusted to let truck make power. The torque to fuel at 1033 axis is topped out at 115 MM3 on the tune I was using a reference do you think I can push that up to 130-140 MM3
    I'd love to see the 2013 tune you have, also what limiters were you missing that helped you? My guess is Lambda smoke limiters. Yes you can add fuel up to 140. It will probably pick up some power if the air is there and possibly smoke a little more. If you have smoke at low RPM you should add boost to clean it up or lower fuel if you're happy with the current power. It's called LBF or low boost fueling to help spool the turbo in low boost scenarios, but at the cost of some smoke typically. You can use smoke limiters do to exactly that, limit the smoke in the lower RPM areas, or take away fuel in the tq to fuel. Btw a hint of smoke down low isn't always a bad thing, a 100% stock truck will smoke just a hint on takeoff, we just don't see it with a DPF. This helps light the turbo or could be considered LBF. You had felt how lazy your truck was with positive timing just before the cruse region yet many still think negative value's are useless. To each their own! Tune it how you see fit! Just remember, there is no one perfect tune for all driving styles. Think of where you were and where you are now, you've come a long ways from us talking on youtube lol. I love the way my truck runs and it has a slight smoke of harder take off and a solid haze while WOT. It's fast and very responsive. I'm @ 25-26* of timing now and I went back to a stock tune and couldn't believe how much better my tune is than stock, it's unreal! I'm starting to dial in the trans and so far i'm very happy. I had a hint of slip on the 3-4 shift and on the 4-3 down shift. I lowered torque transfer time on the 3->4 shift from 390ms to 345ms and bumped line pressure 5% in the adaptive offgoing 3m4m @625tq from 2500-3500 rpm and 10% @750tq 2500-3500. It was a little firm at first but the trans smoothed it out really quickly and now it has a quicker but not too aggressive 3-4 shift. If you don't change adaptive tables and just up line pressure it will take it out over time.

Tuner
    For sure I will send it today I?m getting ready to take a little road trip this weekend and plan to tune while I?m in colder climates I agree with - values helping fire off turbo I actually have been fooling with low boost fuel got the truck sounding more like a non VGT I am a Rumble guy lol some of the files I?ve compared have a few different perimeters missing mostly in turbo area I?ll send you a few different files I?ve collected as far as where I started I almost gave up lol I appreciate you help BIG TIME lol
    💪🏻

Tuner
    Transmission is my next learning experience The lugging issue manly I found a great post on the forum explaining what does what and how to adjust area?s accordingly to get harder shifts and more clutch holding psi

Tuner
    I sent you a couple files to your email address