Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMC Sierra Whipple part throttle out of control

Tuner in Training

GMC Sierra Whipple part throttle out of control

While tuning a 2015 Sierra 1500 with a Whipple, I keep running into an issue where the commanded throttle position opens to 100% while I'm only at 38-50% throttle pedal, until it rapidly exceeds demanded torque and closes the throttle down. I get from my log it's opening the throttle in order to attempt to reach driver commanded axle torque, but I'm unsure how it's calculating the commanded axle torque. The driver demand table appears to be in engine torque values but by the log it's looking at axle torque commands, and I've tried everything from stock values to modified higher values in the engine torque driver demand. I need assistance reigning in control of the throttle. Either how to calculate the commanded axle torque so I can reduce and smooth the part throttle values or what I'm missing to do so.
    Attached Files Attached Files

post your tune.

Tuner
    Couple things I noticed...

you map sensor is stock and you are running boost...

and the driver demand table has a huge step at 40% throttle. Your last row should be the row with the big change and the rest basically stock from what I have found. I have increased my DD table from 30% and up by maybe 10-20% just to give me "more throttle with less pedal" feeling but in reality I just needed to change the 100% row to get more torque request.

also- Maximum Throttle Area % should all be 100% yours is from 40 to 80% under 2000rpm

do a compare to a stock 2015 Silverado file

I am no expert on gen 5 just a few quick observations
    Last edited by doorev800; 09-25-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    2010 /2SS/Long Tubes/ Magnaflow axle back/LSA Conversion/ 2 bar OS running / Stock Blower Pulley...for now

Tuner in Training
    The driver demand table I made was experimental. I realize there was a big step. With the truck on a dyno I was trying to at least get the throttle to not shut down during a pull. With stock mapping in that table I would log TPS go to 100% and rapidly back off. I'll look further into the other things and get at least a 3 bar MAP on it and I appreciate your input.

Tuner
    Once you get the 3-bar map you will need to tune the VVE. You could probably copy the 0.8 pressure ratio line to the 2.0 pressure ratio line times 1.5 for a start. That will probably solve most of your throttle issue, but you still need to tune VVE to get it to drive right.
    As I understand it, the computer converts the airmass demand (from the virtual torque tables) to an airflow demand, and it meets this demand by opening the throttle, but it needs a proper VVE to know how far to open the throttle.

A couple big picture things to remember.
    DD has nothing to do with throttle position, think of it more like a torque request than a throttle request.
    VVE is critical for the torque equations to work right, fueling can be handled by the MAF, but torque cannot.
    2014 Silverado L83 | Knockoff S369 Turbo | LT1 Fuel Pump and Injectors | MAST L84 Port Intake | MS3Pro Secondary Fuel Computer

Tuner in Training
    So, there's a lot of focus on the MAP sensor, but FWIW, the instructions from Whipple reuse the factory sensor, and, AFAIK, the factory sensor is good to ~18.5 absolute, and I'm at 2800'. I'm only seeing ~4.5psi. I'm logging 17.1 absolute. I do't feel as though changing the MAP is going to solve the issue. Sure it's a good idea if I want to swap pulleys later but it seems as though Whipple thinks the factory MAP works with low boost and I'm running low boost so I'd rather not get into that just yet if it's going to compound the issue.

I have the factory driver demand tables loaded back up with the exception of the 100% column and changed the throttle area percent to the stock value of 100% and the issue is now worse, because I'm over shooting demanded axle torque more rapidly now versus commanding more axle torque (which it would achieve with more throttle opening and therefor not shut it down as rapidly.

Here's a log from today's test drive.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Look at Trottle Area Limits.Max area you have 5690 stock is 3690. My be your problem.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.0S104x4 View Post
    Look at Trottle Area Limits.Max area you have 5690 stock is 3690. My be your problem.
    I saw that and changed it on the current tune which is in the log I posted.

Tuner
    you have get your maximum engine torque parameter to be higher. As soon as delivered engine torque passes maximum engine trq it limits it.
    2010 /2SS/Long Tubes/ Magnaflow axle back/LSA Conversion/ 2 bar OS running / Stock Blower Pulley...for now

Tuner
    You will need to up your VTT or VVE. See thread "What affects MAX Torque?" In these gen5 threads..

And your map maxes out at 118kpa. At one point in you log it is maxed out at 118 at 4100rpm with your accel pedal and throttle at 99% and maf is still rising meaning you maxed out your map. I would just upgrade to 2 bar just so you have exact measurements even at 4.5 psi
    Last edited by doorev800; 09-27-2019 at 05:12 PM.

any updates on this. I have same issue. over 45% APP commands 100% TPS. real PITA the drive.

Truck was professionally tuned with no help there.

Tuner in Training
    You need to get the LSA/LS9 or LT4 map sensor installed... this will clear up a lot of drivability issues. I don't understand why Whipple wants installers to reuse the 1 bar map. I was glad to see the SLP TVS1900 Gen V Silverado/Sierra kit comes with appropriate MAP sensor.

have 2.5 bar with my TVS

Quote Originally Posted by str8dum1 View Post
    any updates on this. I have same issue. over 45% APP commands 100% TPS. real PITA the drive.

Truck was professionally tuned with no help there.
    I have the opposite problem. 100% APP and 45-70% TPS depending on conditions. 2017 Sierra 6.2 with whipple

why aren't you starting with the Whipple calibration for that application? Those should already have good values for VVE and virtual torque that will prevent most common issues like this.

Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    why aren't you starting with the Whipple calibration for that application? Those should already have good values for VVE and virtual torque that will prevent most common issues like this.
    I?ll have to get my hands on one I guess. I thought when I looked it had stock value for VVE and VT

Advanced Tuner
    I haven't been able to get a hold of a stock whipple calibration, they don't seem to be floating around like the Ford Whipple cals. Even called Whipple about it and they were of no help. Customer bought a Whipple for his 2014 truck through a 3rd party vendor, Whipple would not provide the tune as "That serial was sold several years ago and the calibration was provided when initially sold, we cannot provide it to you sorry."
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Tuner in Training
    I've run into this issue with the Whipple Tune and no mods besides the blower kit (stock exhuast, airbox, etc). I played with the tune a lot, but everything instantly cleared up with the appropriate MAP sensor, even with stock VVE and Torque tables.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jlpearl View Post
    I've run into this issue with the Whipple Tune and no mods besides the blower kit (stock exhuast, airbox, etc). I played with the tune a lot, but everything instantly cleared up with the appropriate MAP sensor, even with stock VVE and Torque tables.
    Could I get a copy of that by chance? I've done a few of these trucks from scratch on my own, but would love to compare to the whipple cal.
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning