Thread: 3V Mustang Datalog/Tune Questions

Potential Tuner

3V Mustang Datalog/Tune Questions

Hey guys, new to the forum and working on tuning a 2006 Mustang GT for the first time. The car has a Hellion 76mm turbo kit, some mild cams, engine work and a ford racing intake manifold. I have the Ford Beginners guide from The Tuning School and went to their class last month, but I'm running into a few things that they didn't cover. I'm currently on the dyno, worked on MAF tuning yesterday and feel confident that the MAF is close until around 2.9V on the table, and from there it's close, but I keep having the AFR's change in between the cells in the Airflow Vs. Voltage table. For instance, at 3.88V on my table, the AFR's are about 1% off from commanded, and the next cell is 4.15V the AFR's are similar, but in between those 2 points, the AFR's fluctuate almost 2 points. Is this an issue that I need to add more resolution in the areas that this is happening and take some resolution from where the AFR's are stable?

Next issue is that I'm having trouble finding info into tuning the Load with Failed MAF table. This wasn't something covered in the book and I'm not on a load bearing dyno to tune the way Greg Banish suggests in his DVD. I started looking into hystograms for this, is that the way I should go?

The next issue I'm having is the way they describe how to monitor knock. When I added the Knock Sensor 1 and Sensor 2 Pid's to my datalog it only shows a value in mV and does not plot on the chart itself. Really fuzzy on how the Borderline knock table and MBT tables work, is there any other posts that you know of that I could reference?

Thanks for any input and feel free to post up a previous thread that may answer these.

Potential Tuner
    Almost forgot...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    For load with failed maf I plot Absolute load in number to 3 decimal points
    Engine speed in column
    Throttle position sensor in row
    Use the row and column values from the failed maf table in the tune.
    It seems to work ok.

I haven't messed with knock yet, maybe I should though.

Does that 4.15v section in the MAF happen to coincide with where you are letting off of the throttle or are you seeing AFR actively changing while still full throttle with a load? If you are that close to maxing out your MAF it may be time to go to a bigger maf.
    Last edited by B E N; 09-30-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply. Awesome, that's exactly what I did even though it seems to vary between pulls, seemed to help with tip in enrichment, although I'm still getting some weird AFR's on tip in.

I've updated the MAF table a lot and it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference. I went in and re normalized the Voltage column and added cells to the area where I was seeing a lot off AFR fluctuation, but this didn't seem to make much of a difference. I was thinking the same thing about maxing out the MAF. We got this MAF sensor from the guy who was previously going to tune the car, but I couldn't seem to find the sensor online or find a transfer function for it. The sensor we are using is an HPX PMAS Part number 18C02110.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you adjusted your torque model? I've found this makes a difference in tip in AFR response.

Potential Tuner
    Hey guys, still banging my head against the wall with this car. Put a larger MAF in the car and haven't been back to the dyno yet. Long story short, I'm having trouble finding info on how to tune the FPVT with the GT500 pumps and a boost a pump that we have, logging knock with these model years (according to Tony at the tuning school, there is no way to log knock with these cars), torque model tuning and so on. Are there files on specific tables such as the gt500 twin pumps for the FPVT or MAF transfer functions? I feel like I've gotten a late start in tuning these cars and all of the information is so far gone.

Is there a write up on which order to go about tuning these cars other than the "How to tune your mustang" write up?

Pretty much been reading through this forum for the last 2 weeks me have found a little bit of info, but everything seems to be so specific to individual setups.

Really trying to find a thorough understanding of how these cars are tuned. Anyways, any info is greatly appreciated!

Advanced Tuner
    u dial in fuel pump voltage by either logging the actual voltage by flow and deltap dame as the table is setup or after its learned you read all the adaptive cells and apply their corrections. Either way will return the same results but its not a big deal the ecu will save its learned corrections.

read the fuel write up and the spark write up on my website

yes u can log knock sensor spark adjustment
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/

Advanced Tuner
    You should be able to get pretty far in the tune without messing with the fuel pump settings. If your using the twin pumps with twin drivers you shouldn't need the BAP on a stock block 3v... I would remove it, take it out of the equation until you need it.