Thread: 2010 LNF ECU swap to get rid of trifecta?

2010 LNF ECU swap to get rid of trifecta?

Ok so my uncle bought a 2010 Cobalt SS that apparently has a locked ECU from a trifecta tune. Car has been demoded and messed with by previous owners and now the tune just isn't right. I'd like to get started on it with HPTuners but as I mentioned, ECU is locked and I can't get the stock file (emailed trifecta with VIN and no response).

Can I swap to a stock used ECU and buy the HPT credits for that one so I can tune it? I read that the VINs don't really have to match to the BCM for it to work but does it have to be the same year? Are all 08-10 ecus interchangeable? Could I buy a used one and just have the dealer flash it with the correct VIN?

I have GMS1 and stock files for a 2010 that I can use as a base/starter. How risky is it to write entire over the trifecta tune?

Any other options?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if you cant find the trifecta dealer to reset it then take it to the dealership and have a factory file flashed in.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Just do a write entire with a stock 2010 file. Make sure its a 2010 file and not 08-09, it WILL brick the ECU unless you have a Tech2, ask me how I know lol...

Thanks for the help so far! The dealer should be able to do a bench flash right? That way we don't drive the car back on the stock tune..
    It would obviously be more cost effective for me to write entire and be done with all this. Is there a way to verify the year on the tune itself just to make sure? Any difference in OS between 2010s or anything like that? Can I change the VIN on the file I have to match the car? Does the BCM care if the VINs don't match?

Do you have a known 2010 file I could use.
    Last edited by SQUEEGIO; 10-01-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Update: So. We ended up buying a brand new ecu from Amazon. ACDelco, brand new (blank), same service # (12623326). Took the car to the dealer, swapped the ECU for them to flash a stock tune on it and they called back saying they tried multiple times and always came back with some error at the end so they couldn't do it. Wtf?

All I can think of is that this Cobalt has the RPD display option that from the research I did, seems to be connected to GMLAN. That's a dealer installed option as far as I know so I really don't think that could be causing a problem.

What else could it be?

(Bought brand new ecu to have some sort of backup instead of risking bricking the one with the trifecta tune or wasting credits)

Potential Tuner
    I thought the RPD is stock in the SS version, and that the RPD needs to be plugged in to start.

Just to update anyone who cares.. went to an other dealership and they were able to flash the new ecu without a problem.

All is good now.