Thread: 2006 Cobalt SS, P12, Reccuring issue. Query for the "BRAIN TRUST".

2006 Cobalt SS, P12, Reccuring issue. Query for the "BRAIN TRUST".

BACKGROUND

Condition:

Recurring "Reduced Engine Power", "P0606", "Engine Disabled". No faults found.

I do some web searching for the condition and find a full write of the ECM potentially fixes the condition.

Actions:

1. I Perform a write entire with HP Tuners and the condition is immediately still present.
    2. I perform a write entire with EFI Live and the condition is still present.
    3. I perform a write entire with TIS2WEB with MDI in "Replace and Reprogram" function and the condition is immediately resolved.

The vehicle is driven daily and is bone stock with the exception of a Injen CAI. I just performed this "fix" for the third time in 5 years.

BODY

My question is what causes the condition in the first place?

Does the adaptive storage in the binary overwrite part of the ETC calibration corrupting it to the point that it faults but really isn't programmed to handle the data overrun? This would in turn cause the ECM to fail checksum validation and force the subsequent symptoms. If an "overrun" condition is a valid theory why is GM still providing the same, apparently "FINAL" updated calibration?
    Bo Woody owner:
    APS Automotive
    www.apstuning.com
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    405-424-RACE

Are you saying with the original tune everything is normal... then when you update the tune it triggers P0606 and goes into limp mode ???

No. The car will literally run perfectly fine for years. I just looked back at my files. The last time this same operation fixed the car was almost exactly 5 years ago. Then the car will go into a "Reduced Power Mode" on the DIC and "Engine disabled" mode on the DIC with P0606 stored. Flashing with TIS in "Replace and Reprogram" mode resolves the issue.
    Bo Woody owner:
    APS Automotive
    www.apstuning.com
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    405-424-RACE

Tuner in Training
    Ive struggled with P0606 on my car(not a p12) for a long time and Ive never been able to truly figure out what causes it. Sometimes it is related to ETC and other times not. In for info.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000 View Post
    Ive struggled with P0606 on my car(not a p12) for a long time and Ive never been able to truly figure out what causes it. Sometimes it is related to ETC and other times not. In for info.
    What exactly is your combination? Care to post a file?
    Bo Woody owner:
    APS Automotive
    www.apstuning.com
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    405-424-RACE

How about disabling the code set it to no error reported, see what happens then.