Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to this forum and I have a request

I'm I right in that analogy of the wiring for the obd? I cannot figure another way the computer data lines circuit doesn't show any more circuits for it neither do the wiring diagrams for the ecm circuits. I know that the path for the data to travel goes both ways but still if the wires from the ecm are cut and moved to the obd that path is gone. I don't need the interior modules just the trans. Can anyone tell me if that's correct?

Tuner
    Yes, you still need the PCM connected to the TCM through GMLAN.
    I think you can connect the OBD connector either way, either splicing a "T" into the wires, or i think you can also use the 2 pins in the TCM like you described.

Be aware that CAN communication must be twisted pair.
    Be aware that CAN communication has termination resistance at each end of the bus. One is inside the PCM (really it's an ECM, but you keep calling it a PCM) the other one is inside the BCM, if you removed the BCM you will likely need a 120 ohm resistor at the end of your new bus, just solder in a 120 Ohm between CAN+ and CAN- wires. It has to do with transmission line impedance, standing waves, bla, bla, bla, it might work without, it might not, honestly not completely sure.

OK thanks I understand the twisted w/b wires even though it doesn't make any sense to me but I'm not that smart. The resistor you speak of I have read about but do I connect it to the wires just before the obd and then put them in 6&14? Duhhhh!!!!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by carotene View Post
    do I connect it to the wires just before the obd and then put them in 6&14?
    i'm not sure if it would be theoretically better to put it by the OBD connector or the TCM. Honestly your harness should be so short it shouldn't really matter as long as you have the right resistance.
    At OBD connector should be fine.

OK I think I'll put it at the obd, oh yeh the harness is short maybe 12 inches from ecm to tcm and then the obd. I'LL mount the obd on the same mount as the ecm. Compact but open. I can't believe it I'm almost there. VARRROOOMMMM!!!!!!!!

Again, Thanks. Jim
    Last edited by carotene; 10-11-2019 at 03:33 PM.

First I hope someone will see this this thread is a little past it. I got my MPVI2 and with help from support (Christopher) it is registered but now I may have a big problem. Where I live internet is not really available, I have to drive about 18 to 20 miles to get WiFi. The project i am building does not have rear axles nor wheels and tires yet. Yeh! I know just go out and buy them not possible with my income, that is 2 months down the road. My question after all the BS is how can I get internet where I am so I can get things done? Any ideas?

First I hope someone will see this this thread is a little past it. I got my MPVI2 and with help from support (Christopher) it is registered but now I may have a big problem. Where I live internet is not really available, I have to drive about 18 to 20 miles to get WiFi. The project i am building does not have rear axles nor wheels and tires yet. Yeh! I know just go out and buy them not possible with my income, that is 2 months down the road. My question after all the BS is how can I get internet where I am so I can get things done? Any ideas?
    I have a dumb question but when do you need the internet? Is that for purchasing the credits? As for a potential solution's can you use your phone as a hot spot?

They told me when I talked to support (Christopher) that I would need internet for anything including deleting VAT's. I may sound stupid but what is hot spot? I have credits already and it is registered. I thought after that I didn't need internet anymore.

I'm 95% sure you don't need internet to make changes. You make changes to the file and then you write it to the vehicle's ecu. I do it with my laptop sometimes away from home so I wouldn't have internet. A hot spot is like turning your cellphone into a wifi router. I don't think you need internet though and I don't think that would be a good idea if you did need internet to write a file. Have you tried writing to the ecu yet or no?

Ok, after thinking about it you might need internet the first time you write to the vehicle so the mvi2 can use the credits you purchased but that's the only thing I can imagine why you would need internet. I would think we could test that theory by seeing if you can see if your mvi2 recognizes having credits available when you have no internet connection...thinking out loud maybe someone else will chime in

Maybe resyncing the mvi2 when you do have internet would solve that issue.
    Last edited by LittleBlue; 11-01-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Tuner
    "hot spot" is the feature on most smart phones where you use the phones internet (through the cellphone provider) and your phone turns into a wifi router... host... hot spot, then you connect your laptop to your phone's hot spot, as if it was a wifi router. Careful with this, if you have limited cell phone data plan, laptops can consume very large amounts of data very quickly (like silly background updates).

I don't want to question the information you got from tech support but it doesn't make sense to me. Once you have the credits, i thought you "use up" credits by tying them to a specific VIN, i wasn't aware you need internet access to talk to some hptuners server??? i thought the credits and vin get written to the device??? i have the old MPVI1 (or whatever it's called) I definitely flashed my cars while tuning on the road with no wifi. Do you need wifi just the first time you assign credits to a VIN? that might be manageable. If i needed wifi every single time i wanted to flash a car, out on the road, i'd be freaking piiiiiissed.

Kind of sounds like you might need another conversation with tech support?

I think I'll try it without and see. It didn't make any sense to me either having to have internet access all the time. I first have to read my stock file and save it somewhere. I looked at every YouTube that I could find to make sure that I get it right but it seems the ones that make the vids cut them short. The end where I can write and save are vague. Oh well I will give it a try.
    Thanks Jim

I have gotten advise from both of you before and you haven't been wrong yet.
    Last edited by carotene; 11-01-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Make sure your Laptop has good power' I recommend having it plugged in but I don't always do that and make sure your car battery is good and charged. Make sure the mvi2 stays connected to the obd2 port and usb port during the process and don't touch anything like radio windows etc while writing. When you delete vats you will want to write entire but normally you will only write calibration. Beyond that, should be good to go!

I can make a quick video reading saving and writing and post to YouTube if you think that would be helpful?

I just now read in stock file and saved do I now hit write in for finish? Hey Little blue can you call me 234-339-0461
    Last edited by carotene; 11-01-2019 at 05:33 PM.

OK, for those that have been replying to this. I have deleted vats and still won't start. I have went through the system several times and can't figure out what may be causing my problem. NO SPARK everything seems to be right, grounds power and connections. The one thing that I can't figure out is it has 6volts on all the wires going into the coil pack except for the 12v main feed and ground. I went thru it again this morning but still can't figure it out. If someone has an idea please let me know. I would check the ohms output for the coil pack but I can't find the values where I have looked, does anyone know where I can find them?
    Last edited by carotene; 11-02-2019 at 02:41 PM.

When I go to vcm scanner and hit (start scanning) at this point will it screw anything up? I want to see if it will show anything about not having any spark. Yeh I know very slow but I am trying to get it. I have no more ideas on what to check for no spark. Could I also try diagnostics and info on scanners?

Tuner
    Yes, put your car in ?run, engine off? , then start scanning, then crank while it?s recording. Whenever ur done, click stop scanning, then go to file>> save recording.

Post it here and we will try to help.

That?s the point of this tool, u can record and see what it?s doing .

Thanks I thought I could but I wasn't sure. I'll figure out how to post it. I will do that tomorrow morning I still have to drive home yet.

Jim

attached is the scan from the tuner. I hope it is readable this was the only way I found was to take a picture. It got chopped up a little on the sides.

Attachment 94265
    You will actually want to save the log as a file like we did with your vats delete file. Then you will be able to attach the file to your comment or email and others can actually play the log and look at the data. If you can't work through it and no one jumps in, I'll reach out to you to help the first time through. Having breakfast with the wife now though.

OK no problem haha if you would give me a call