Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to this forum and I have a request

New to this forum and I have a request

I have a 1.4 turbo out of a 2015 Trax and the 6 speed auto. I haven't gotten into the tuning yet because I can't get it to start. I built an off road buggy an put the engine and transmission in it.
    I modified the wiring harness and built a relay and fuse panel. The ECM has full time power and the rest of the system is wired on the power switch. The y.ellow wire for the starter is on a push button. I have gone over it several times and can't find out what the problem is.I used the wiring harness out of Mitchell's online manual for a guide. If someone can help so I can move on to tune it. I forgot one thing the ECM is out of the Trax too.

Possible the VATS system is shutting everything down straight away. That would need to be turned off no matter what.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

That sounds like a good possibility, how would I go about shutting that off can HP help with that? I have the obd plug but the diagrams are to vague for me to know which wires to hook up to, can you or someone else send me in the right direction?

Quote Originally Posted by carotene View Post
    That sounds like a good possibility, how would I go about shutting that off can HP help with that? I have the obd plug but the diagrams are to vague for me to know which wires to hook up to, can you or someone else send me in the right direction?
    You will need to do it through the OBD, I can't help with that info but I can say HP tuners can remove vats. I've done this on an e78 and it is very easy. If no one responds first, I'll circle back with where you can do that in the editor. You basically scan the file, turn off vats and write entire. I'm a newbie so if others jump in I will defer to them

I think I figured out how to wire up the obd. It looks like the green wire from #1 on obd goes to v/y from ECM and the rest are self explanatory. Can you tell me what I need from HP to clean up the ECM?

Step 1 you need to have the actual device. For me it is mvi2. Step 2 download the software from hptuners site for free (vcm suite) you plug the device into the obd2 and read or scan the file. Step 3, save as stock file and DO NOT TOUCH, this is your backup if you mess up in the future, you can always go back to stock. You will need to license the ecu if you haven't already. It should be 2 credits which is about $100. The software will prompt you to do this when you try and write the file to the ecu.

You will then open the file in the editor software. Click the OS tab that looks like a computer chip and disable vats as shown. Then you click the red arrow down for write and choose entire. Make sure you have good battery in your car and laptop or you risk bricking your ecu and wasting your licensing credits (believe me)

Sorry, working from phone and couldn't get pic to upload. Hopefully, this helps point you in the right direction.

Oh yeh!! Thanks for the help this is getting me in the right direction. Now all I have to do is wait till the end of the month, I only get paid once a month and this months is already spoken for. This will be my last build it's been 25 to 30 years since my last build and they didn't have any electronics. They were small or big block Chevy's with tube chassis. I just wanted to try out these 1.4turbos and the 6 speed auto trans.

Thanks, Jim
    Last edited by carotene; 10-02-2019 at 11:18 PM.

I'm not sure if you have seen the file for your specific ECU but attached is a stock file that I pulled from the HP tuners tune repository. it says it is a stock 2015 Trax. If you download the VCM suite from HP tuners you can view this file. Not sure how close it is to your set up, this is an E38. Stock 2015 Trax.hptVATS Disable.PNG
    Last edited by LittleBlue; 10-03-2019 at 12:51 AM.

When I get my MPVI2 I'll be able to read up on that and clear out the VAT's so I can at least hear it run. At this point that's all I want for now, later I'll crank it to the moon and learn what will or won't work.

5FPD or Little blue are you guys still around or anyone else that can help? I've got the wiring diagrams for the computer data lines circuits and the engine performance circuits but I can't seem to figure out how to wire up the obd 2 plug. I've got the power #16, grounds 4&5 but I can't figure out which wires I need for the data stream, can one of you please help me out

I will in the morning when I get to my shop laptop. You need the serial data lines from pcm to obd2 port?

I need to know which of lines are used from pcm to obd, yes. The computer data lines circuit print out shows 3 lines, wakeup and positive and negative hi spd gmlan. Wakeup goes to bcm and the hi spd gmlan +, - go thru a/t then p/s, brake control, fuel pump on star then bcm. Then from bcm there are 3 lines that go to obd. Lo spd gmlan serial data - , hi spd gmlan serial data and last hi spd gmlan serial data +. I won't have a bcm in my build nor anything else except the auto trans. This is where my problem starts at the x1 blue plug on the pcm with there being a acc wakeup serial data and hi spd gmlan serial data + and - with the latter going into the a/t do I pull the hi spd gmlan serial data + and - from the trans to obd? I know it's long winded but that's the only way I think I can get my point across.

Jim

PS I forgot , which pin placement should I use in the obd? There is only 1 pin now for data feed at #1. I will need to know so that the hpt will be in position and so I don't cook the pcm and the hpt.
    Last edited by carotene; 10-07-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Sorry, I have never wired OBD2 so I am really of no help on that front. It sounds like badcoupe can help though. Best of luck. I'll keep checking back if there are questions I can help with.

Thanks for the comeback.

connector X1 at PCM pin 29 blue wire to pin 6 at obd2
    connector X1 at PCM pin 43 white wire to pin 14 at obd2
    pins 4 and 5 at obd2 ground
    pin 16 at obd2 voltage
    Last edited by badcoupe; 10-07-2019 at 09:01 PM.

also x1 18 at pcm and x1 13 at tcm should be switched ign voltageviolet/yellow they are connected together at a splice in the oem harness then they went to the bcm

thanks badcoupe I will give that a try. Will the trans still be in the loop when I pull the 29 and 43 pins and put them in the obd because they are the ones that connect with the trans. should I make a connection to the trans from 29 and 43 to keep it in the loop, otherwise I don't see any way the trans can get info from pcm to operate? I put power to x1 18 and x1 13 switched ing power when I built the harness and the data lines I left free to use later for obd if needed for that.

They are part of continuous communication line two from one module into the next then two from that one to the next etc I?ll try to save diagram to post here since I can?t link to it being a closed server
    Last edited by badcoupe; 10-08-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Yes I know that I have the diagram right here and 29 and 43 are the only 2 that come out of the x1 blue to the trans. If I pull them and connect them too the obd there won't be any connection to the trans from the ecm or any of the other modules the connection will be broken. If I leave 29 and 43 connected to the trans I can still pull 6 and 14 from trans And connect them to the obd at 6and 14 for the same results. This will keep the ecm and trans in their own loop and eliminate all the other modules including the bcm.