Thread: Time to learn new Alcohol %

Tuner in Training

Time to learn new Alcohol %

I just installed a FF kit on my '18 Camaro SS 1LE and enable what was needed in the tune to get it working. I have verified that the sensor is working both in VCM Scanner and with my Aeroforce Interceptor gauge. I've been using a tune posted on Camaro6 as a starter guide to get everything enabled. I haven't yet filled up with e85. How long (sitting at a gas pump, at warm idle, for example) does it take for the car to learn its new ethanol content percentage? Can the process be sped up by changing the Learning Trigger - Delay Volume and Transition - Transition Volume values in Engine - Fuel - Flex Fuel any?

Attached are the current tune on the car so far (Mongoose FF v1.0 - which is the sensor and diags enabled, Stoich table changed, IAT Mult4 changed, cranking spark alc adder, and CAGS defeated) and the tune I am using as my guide (2016_ss_...). If anyone could check over what I've done so far to make sure that I haven't missed anything important and that I am on the right track and safe, that would be awesome. Car has a Soler ported TB, ported stock IM, and the secondary cats deleted. Stock otherwise. Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Will probably never update sitting idling at the gas station. In my experience it takes a good 4 miles of normal driving to update.

I tell my customers about 5 min of driving anytime fuel has been changed to cycle from tank to combustion chamber

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Advanced Tuner
    Especially being returnless.
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

I did it at idle once, took like 10min to really start changing. With driving it starts within a 1-2 miles and by 4-5 miles it's just about complete.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the responses. I'm going to fill it up with E85 for the first time tonight on my way to our cruise in. Planning on logging the drive there and back and will start looking for abnormalities from there.

I hooked up an aftermarket sensor and mine only shows up as 40% in the scanner and never changes I wonder if I hooked it up incorrectly to the ecu or if it is a bad sensor. Any thoughts?

40 is a default value, sounds like it's hooked up wrong or it's a bad sensor.

You can change the % of change to update the ecm data it uses and the amount of fuel used before it changes as well. I go with 1% and then .002 on the other two values.
    2018 Camaro SS, LT4 Fuel System, LT4 S/C
    2020 Ford Edge ST (93-E85 flex fuel tune)
    1999 Pontiac Firehawk
    1987 Chevy Caprice, 6.0L TT 4L80 AWD
    ***Only AWD box chevy in the world***
    Next Level Tuning and Performance
    Tuning email: [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Thanks again for the replies! When I filled up on Friday night, I put in 17.9 gallons on an 18.5 gallon tank. My aeroforce gauge Alc % number started rapidly climbing after about 2 minutes of running while I was about a mile down the road. Finally settled at around 72-73%. I've collected cold and warm start logs along with a few drives. Also collected a cold start and drive log this morning since we (finally!) had a cold front push through and it knocked out temps down to more "fall-like" numbers. Time to start logging and tweaking! Thank you!