Thread: dyno operators step inside

dyno operators step inside

Ok i will explain this the best i can. I was able to throw car car on the rollers at a local trade school and was in question was if i did the process correct.

The operator running to dyno has pulled several cars including his own.To cut down on some of the chatter i will get straight to the point.

He asked me how i want to do the pulls i.e mph to mph so i told him the best i knew how ( 3rd gear from about 44 mph 2200 ish to my red line 78 mph 6200 ish. He couldnt get me a graph print out but only a peak hp and tq reading.

My hp was 298 ( about where i thought it would be) but my tq was 532 ( way higher than i thought it would be) Was something skewed because of how i did a 3rd gear pull or would 2nd gear pull be a more accurate reading?

Was something not done correctly because i have no idea?
    2001 monte carlo swapped l67 on e85
    XP cam
    gen5 m90
    NorthStar throttle body
    speed daddy headers 3inch exhaust
    3.0 pulley
    lq4 maf
    cold air filter behind bumper
    60 lb injectors

Car in your sig right?

You did a 2nd gear pull if it was. 4T65e's have gears about every 40-45mph. Something seems off with the dyno setup for the torque to read that high.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Yes sir. i was running a 3.0 with 18.5 total timing in wot. it was a mustang chass dyno.I remember it asking what year make and model car and saw the weight was 3700 lbs. It wasn't to inquiring as what kinda details ( gear ratio tire size ect, ect,) i am guessing the software knows all that.

Never tried a 2nd gear pull i made sure i was in third was i left it in 3rd and it made a 1-2 and a 2-3 upshift. As stated i do not run dyno,s only going off what i saw the last shop that did mine do. I honestly thought the teacher knew a little more about how to run it.

But i was already there and made the best of the situation. What would of been the proper way and would it made the new result numbers better or worse?
    2001 monte carlo swapped l67 on e85
    XP cam
    gen5 m90
    NorthStar throttle body
    speed daddy headers 3inch exhaust
    3.0 pulley
    lq4 maf
    cold air filter behind bumper
    60 lb injectors

The torque spike could have been the downshift back to 2nd gear. There is no way that a full throttle pull from 40-80mph would be 3rd gear. That transmission couldn't do it because it wouldn't have enough wheel speed to stay in 3rd gear because 3rd gear will rip all the way out to 110+mph.

Starting in manual first would have been the best idea, then shift it to 2nd and leave it there and do the pull. Or get the wheel speed all the way up to 60-70mph and roll into the throttle, it should stay in 3rd gear then.

Hard to say on what the dyno knew or didn't. Some of that data could have been wrong for how it needed to be setup for this vehicle. I'm no dyno expert or anything though.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.