Thread: 2014 Ram 1500 possibly tuned before I bought it?

Tuner in Training

2014 Ram 1500 possibly tuned before I bought it?

Hey everyone. I recently purchased this 5.7l 2014 Ram 1500. I'm familiar with tuning GM platforms but this is my first experience with Mopar. I have been doping the normal research here within the forums and I've found a lot of good information. Now the trouble i'm is that i cant help but think that this truck may have been tuned with something other than HPT by the previous owner. The editor wont accept certain changes I've tried to make or it will change the value by a decimal place or just change it right back to the value it was before. I don't really know what is going on here but it's getting pretty frustrating. I am using the latest beta VCM Suite. I have pulled a few stock files from the forum and the repository and the files I've found look nothing like the one I pulled from my truck. Would anyone be willing to take a look and point me in the right direction? I have installed a K&N CAI and Shorties. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Heh, the first place I looked is to see the speed limiter set to 200mph, I stopped looking, someones been in there.

I dunno, maybe the tune is locked? I have head the term locked but never experienced it.
    I hope you did a full read and saved it in case somethings so screwy.

So are you using the compare feature to see the changes? I'm no guru but if you post a stock file also I'll have a look.
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Stock 5.7L, Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1, 3.25" Pulley, 450-HP 459-TQ.
    Corsa Sport CatBack, 3.06:1 Wavetrac, Dual Fans, 1-7/16 Radiator, Mopar Oil Cooler
    2005 Radix'd Silverado L33 5.3 ECSB Z71 @ 387-HP 395-TQ

Tuner in Training
    Yes I am using the compare feature to see the differences. When I get back to my computer I will post a stock tune. I will also grab some screen shots of what I am referencing with the values that will not change as I command.

Advanced Tuner
    Probably your best bet is to have someone flash over it back to stock with a witech and then proceed with tuning. I'm betting it was superchips or diablo tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    Probably your best bet is to have someone flash over it back to stock with a witech and then proceed with tuning. I'm betting it was superchips or diablo tuned.
    I ran in to that with my truck when I 1st bought it , the previous owner had a custom Diablo tune. had to have my dealer reflash it before I could do anything.....there may have been a a different route I could of taken but I was very new to the whole tune thing(still very new)
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah I went back over some of the how tos and then just went through the calibration file and read the descriptions of each parameter and just kinda absorbed everything slowly and doubled checked that at the very least tables that need to match actually matched and inverses were actually inverse and holy cow. The tables were so far mismatched that it is a Wonder the truck ran at all. I'm guessing that it was tuned several times for so many of the tables to be inconsistent. However I'm very surprised at how it runs now that I shored up the differences. There's parts of the TCM I can't yet still. I'm going to try to get to the dealer today and get it reflashed. Fortunately there is a campaign that wasn't completed that requires a reflash for both modules so it looks like I got lucky there.