Thread: Issue with VIN correct

Tuner

Issue with VIN correct

I have a 99 suburban that I put an LS in and used a 411 PCM out of a 2002 2500 truck. I have done a segment swap with a 2002 1500 so I can get a 4l60e trans segment and I segment swapped with a 2002 express van for the fuel segment swap. when I try to change the vin in the vin dropdown it says that my vin is not compatible with that OS. Is there any other way to change that vin? I am in NC so I am not sure if they check the vin on the emissions check

Advanced Tuner
    Im not sure 100% but HPT will not let you switch VINs that arent compatible with thay OS. EFI live will or Pcmhammer which is free wil do it. But youll need a compatible cable
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Putting a 99 black box VIN into a 411 computer isn't possible with HPT.

I'd check with your state to see if the VIN matters at all.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    If you choose to correct the VIN by other sources you may need to use another 2 credits to relicense as a specific controller in order to make further tune changes after the VIN correction.

I had that issue myself using EFI live to switch a P01 VIN to a P59 controller. Maybe others can chime in if there are other ways of handling the VIN change and credit charges after.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

Yes same thing with my 97. BUT Bill from HPT said you can do it VIA third party and hpt "should" still be able to license it.

But ive heard people having connectivity issues. I haven't tried it myself but i did pass state test without my original VIN.

Tuner

Bummer! I am in NC and I have been told they do check the vin vs vehicle. I have already paid the 2 credits to license this computer, I am hoping when I get it changed i dont have to turn around and re-license it. If I get someone with a GM tech 2 tool to swap out the vins for me will it revert back to a stock tune file? I noticed the file I am uploading to the computer is a .hpt file, will the GM tech 2 change that file format?

Thanks

Tuner in Training

Actually it is with Tunercats... the issue is HPT wont see it as valid .I do it all of the time starting with HPT file .as long as the tune is finished and wont need anymore work .If it does I always save my file and can reflash it
    Last edited by benchtop; 11-08-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by benchtop View Post
    Actually it is with Tunercats... the issue is HPT wont see it as valid .I do it all of the time starting with HPT file .as long as the tune is finished and wont need anymore work .If it does I always save my file and can reflash it
    They have a simple VIN changer for p01 pcms. Could airways just alternate VIN when needed