Thread: e38 SD tune problem , PE only at full throttle

Tuner in Training

e38 SD tune problem , PE only at full throttle

Hi , i'm trying to do a speed density tune but having trouble with the pe only coming in at full throttle , is at stoich the rest of the time , pe hot set as standard and i lower the delay rpm to 3000rpm . I have the pe set to 1.180 and is at .82 lambda all the way to rev limiter with wide open throttle 100kpa , at 95kpa it's back at stoich! Bit lost on why , maybe someone has had this problem . Any help would be much appreciated

Tune, logs?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by stateman72 View Post
    Hi , i'm trying to do a speed density tune but having trouble with the pe only coming in at full throttle , is at stoich the rest of the time , pe hot set as standard and i lower the delay rpm to 3000rpm . I have the pe set to 1.180 and is at .82 lambda all the way to rev limiter with wide open throttle 100kpa , at 95kpa it's back at stoich! Bit lost on why , maybe someone has had this problem . Any help would be much appreciated

Tuner in Training
    Sorry , haven't put any attachments on here before . Hope they work ok . Thanks

The log looked normal to me on a quick pass through it. It's doing what you ask. You went full throttle and the commanded AFR changed, then at the end of the pull you let off and it went back to closed loop stoich.

But toward the end of the run it started to go lean as if you were losing fuel pressure. You have plenty of injector room left but fueling still went lean.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Shouldn't the pe come in when throttle position is over 48 on the pe table? Here is another log
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by stateman72; 10-07-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Tuner in Training
    The lean part of the log right at the end was it hit the speed limiter and cut the fuel. Thanks

Senior Tuner
    PE throttle position is not same as actual throttle position, if u want it around the 48% actual try about 15-20% in the PE table once u know where it is just adjust to suit what u want

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for that , i'll try again tomorrow to see if makes any difference , also did you have a look at tune ? Did you see anything that is wrong? First time using HP tuners and a couple of things seem to take a while to get my head around . Thanks again

Senior Tuner
    just a quick look and ur high and low spark tables are the same and they should not be as if u get knock ur not getting any help to remove it, if ur ment to be SD the maf needs failing properly high 2 low 1 and counts to zero, and the VVE should be smoother, if ur going to stay SD u would be better going to the 2 bar OS and using the proper VE table as it works better then the VVE table calculations, if u do go 2 bar OS just change the map sensor settings back to 1 bar same as u have and it will work the same (think it defaults to 2bar settings)

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    I tried the PE at 20% and you where right , goes into power enrichment at about 80-85kpa . I'm not sure how I ended up with the maf fail at those number but had a look at the tune earlier and had them at high 2 and 1 low , anyway what do you mean by counts to zero? . With the vve being smoother , do you worry about it being smooth or are you better getting the afr right so the trims aren't as far off when you turn the long and short term fuel trims back on and then let it learn from there or doesn't it work like that? With the spark tables I thought you loose the high timing table when you fail the MAF or is that only on the GEN3 systems? So there is no learn on the knock on the system normally , it's just sees knock and drops back to low table ? If there is no high table when you fail the MAF do you get the high table back when you change to the 2bar OS ? Thank again for taking the time to help , sorry so many questions . Cheers

Senior Tuner
    if u look in the same section where u have the high 2 low 1 under there will be high count and low count thresh change both to zero just helps it fail faster, the vve is not always going to be smooth as its also a calculations that has to equal out for its zone but it should be close to airlfow trends, if u can id recomend the 2bar OS as the VE table is a more accurate adjuster, if u do find it going up or down for the same increase in rpm or load then u can look at the others like transient fuel if u have a hump in the VE from throttle use and have to compensate for it, in the gen4 the timing tables stay as normal high and low as u thought its only the early gen3 that loose the high spark so just keep it as it should be little lower then the main, u do have a knock learn factor also to see how it shifts between the two tables with knock

Tuner in Training
    Ok I changed over to the 2bar OS and is all back and running , just for my future reference is there an easy way to transfer the fuel table from the vve table to the ve table in the 2bar OS tune , I manually added them back is as the column and rows are back to front . The other problem is that I can't seem to add any more rows to the the fuel table , not sure if there is a way to add more rows as max rpm is at 6800 . I added the info into fuel table and thought i'd add the higher rpm in later but maybe need to rescale the rpm as may only be a certain number of rows available? Under the main ve can the ve tps muiltiplier as a ramp into power enrichment and lean cruise , meaning the you want to have 13.5 to 1 at 75% throttle and PE is a 12.5 at 100% throttle , and same with lean cruise , could you commanded 15.5 at cruise , meaning the ecu is seeing it at stoich so the fuel trims are not trying to richen back to 14.7 ( hope this makes sense) . Thanks again for your time . Cheers

crewman 2bar 1.hpl

Senior Tuner
    can't add more rows but u can change the value rpm and same with the map, just use PE for PE it's made for it and safer, u can only change stoich if ur constant OL otherwise ur trims will always bring it back to14.7 but going leaner for cruise dosnt always work as u then loose torque

Tuner in Training
    No worries , i'll stay with PE . Hopefully get time over the weekend to try and dial in the ve table better . One other problem it has is when it's cold it fires up and then stalls straight away , on second tried fires and idles fine, has fuel pressure , I tried just turning the key on and off and back on again then crank and does the same ( thought maybe fuel was bleeding back ) . I was looking at the cranking fuel ( cranking multi stage 1 vs cranking time ) but not sure if this is the right place to start ? Anyway thanks very much 07GTS for your good advise , hopefully I'll have the chance to do the same for someone else in the future. Cheers

Senior Tuner
    in your idle airflow "affective area" change the "max fail" from 60 to 200 see if that helps the cold starts

Tuner in Training
    No worries i'll try that, i might have a chance during the week to get on a dyno for an hour or two. Will be interesting to see how it goes, it's a 6.0lt with the ls3 heads with a 219/230 cam with an auto trans . Anything over 375 i'll be happy . I did add timing into the idle base and is better , it just catches before it stalls but will change the idle airflow to what you suggested. Thanks again , i'll let you know how it goes

Tuner in Training
    The idle airflow helped , starts straight up with no sign of stalling . Got it on the dyno and ran great, air fuel was between 12.4 and 12.6 the whole run and just a little knock in one area (between 0.1 and 0.5) . I'm surprised how high in the rpm peak hp was as i had to more the rev limit up to 7000rpm . It ended up making 416rwhp at 6850 , very happy with outcome. Thanks 07GTS for you help. Cheers