Thread: Torque / Torque Converter tuning @ Idle

Tuner in Training

Torque / Torque Converter tuning @ Idle

Hi,

Is there any tips one is willing to share on my tune to be loose when in gear and in idle mode. I tend to fight a little bit of torque when at full stop and idle conditions. Just want to see if there is anything I can do to prevent the car from going forward when I take my foot of the brakes at the stop street.

Thanks,

19-10-08 10-22-43.hpl
    2013 Jeep JK Sahara 6.4 ECU (MJ) + TCM (MJ).hpt

What is the converter stall speed?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by guru1oftal View Post
    What is the converter stall speed?
    I'm not sure to be honest. I suspect my W5A580 / NAG1 setup is still equipped with the original Torque Converter that came with the 2013 Jeep JKU Sahara... I suspect anywhere between 1500 - 1800 rpm.
    Is there a way to test / confirm this via HPTuners Scanner?
    Last edited by JWM_Jankowitz; 10-08-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Well if it's cammed now, it's likely an issue, it needs a larger converter to idle smoothly. Recommend upgrading to a 3200. You could try keeping 1 - 3rd gears unlocked to help a tiny bit with take off but your idle will still suffer.

Tuner in Training
    Hi,

It does have a healthy cam ;-). Idling is actually not bad although I must admit it took quite a bit of tinkering (for me being a rookie) to get it nice and lopy. You should be able to see this on the back end of the attached log.
    Appreciate the suggestion... How would I go about keeping gears 1-3 unlocked... still learning a lot as my primary focus was 1st on the engine side of things. Now looking into the tranny ;-)

19-10-09 08-36-16.hpl

Thanks in advance for a little help here.

Mouritz

Set unlock and lock tables 3000k across 1 and 2.. and on 3 just max it to about 6k or you can set lockup to about 4300 across for a 6k rpm lockup.. you should see a big increase in your 60ft as well with those adjustments.

Tuner in Training
    Hey thanks for the guidance here. Really appreciate your help. I assume you are referring to the Apply & Release speed tables under Transmission / Torque Converter / Apply/Release tab? Will adjust them. Thanks again.
    Last edited by JWM_Jankowitz; 10-09-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Yes sir exactly what I was referring to. If you want a custom tune let me know :P

Quote Originally Posted by luciddeath View Post
    Set unlock and lock tables 3000k across 1 and 2.. and on 3 just max it to about 6k or you can set lockup to about 4300 across for a 6k rpm lockup.. you should see a big increase in your 60ft as well with those adjustments.
    i got a lot of help for my self from your reply in this article so thanks ,,
    i got a 4000 stall tc on my car should i do this same set of 1-2 on 3000rpm then 3rd on 6000? and in what gears tables to pot that 4200rpm apply or release? to get the 6000rpm lockup for fast gear shifting ? thanks again ^^
    Last edited by GeForce1986; 10-23-2019 at 01:37 AM.

someone care to answer ? ^^

4200 across apply 3rd and about 3600 across on release in 3rd. Its output speed so its about 5900 rpm lockup and 5076rpm unlock.

Am so thankful to you bro . I will do 1-2 on 3000 and the 3rd i will do as you said .. thanks again ^^

hi there .. it worked very good man , thanks so much but from 3rd to 4th it drobs to 5600 or so and my car go to 4th so quick because i got 3.92 back gear so what can i do to pick up fast from 3rd to 4th as well ??
    also when am at 4th it feels like its 2 gears in one ! if i can describe it , it feels like its came to 4 from 3 normal then after 3000 or 4000 rpm it give the feel of new gear ! i think its apply and release in same gear .
    i hope i could make it clear for you >
    thanks in advance . ^^
    Last edited by GeForce1986; 10-29-2019 at 12:38 PM.

That's just lockup brother, being a 5 speed i wouldn't not have it lockup. But you could raise the value to keep it unlocked.

I’m having a similar issue with my 392 Charger. Had a Stage 1 package put in this past summer. The big camshaft is the cornerstone of that package. Now, when stopped at red lights, it sometimes jerks back and forth while in drive and my foot’s on the break. Is there any adjustment I can make to my TC that would help with this?

My tuner has done a pretty good job of really minimizing this issue via engine tunes but it’s still not 100%. If we could adjust the TC to take out what little jerking is left, that’d be awesome.

So brother . I got 3000 across 1 and 2 then in 3 i pot values as our friend up there said to have a good fast rpm between gears , should i pot 4 and t also at 3000rpm ?

Quote Originally Posted by GeForce1986 View Post
    So brother . I got 3000 across 1 and 2 then in 3 i pot values as our friend up there said to have a good fast rpm between gears , should i pot 4 and t also at 3000rpm ?
    I saw that and the only reason I’m posting the ask again rather than just doing what’s stated, I’m driving a 392 and with the cam, the engine is at 600hp. That’s probably a bit more powerful than a cam in a Jeep V6. Would the same adjustments still work or would they need tweaking due to the differences in engine?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by breal5825 View Post
    I saw that and the only reason I’m posting the ask again rather than just doing what’s stated, I’m driving a 392 and with the cam, the engine is at 600hp. That’s probably a bit more powerful than a cam in a Jeep V6. Would the same adjustments still work or would they need tweaking due to the differences in engine?
    This jeep have a 392 with stage 3 ported heads, healthy cam and limiter ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by breal5825 View Post
    and my car have a heavy mods with more than 600hp on the rear end ^^ that sittings worked good for me while i have a 4000rpm stall tc and stage 2 valve body with blue tops combined with 3.92 getrag rear gear .
    still waiting for some advice on how to make my gear rive fast and good and how to make it always back to 6000rpm between gears >

Cool... Thanks for the info y'all. I'm going to tinker with the Airflow first on my car and see if that fixes it and if not, this will be my next course of action.