Thread: Torque / Torque Converter tuning @ Idle

Tuner in Training

Torque / Torque Converter tuning @ Idle

Hi,

Is there any tips one is willing to share on my tune to be loose when in gear and in idle mode. I tend to fight a little bit of torque when at full stop and idle conditions. Just want to see if there is anything I can do to prevent the car from going forward when I take my foot of the brakes at the stop street.

Thanks,

19-10-08 10-22-43.hpl
    2013 Jeep JK Sahara 6.4 ECU (MJ) + TCM (MJ).hpt

What is the converter stall speed?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by guru1oftal View Post
    What is the converter stall speed?
    I'm not sure to be honest. I suspect my W5A580 / NAG1 setup is still equipped with the original Torque Converter that came with the 2013 Jeep JKU Sahara... I suspect anywhere between 1500 - 1800 rpm.
    Is there a way to test / confirm this via HPTuners Scanner?
    Last edited by JWM_Jankowitz; 6 Days Ago at 10:42 AM.

Well if it's cammed now, it's likely an issue, it needs a larger converter to idle smoothly. Recommend upgrading to a 3200. You could try keeping 1 - 3rd gears unlocked to help a tiny bit with take off but your idle will still suffer.

Tuner in Training
    Hi,

It does have a healthy cam ;-). Idling is actually not bad although I must admit it took quite a bit of tinkering (for me being a rookie) to get it nice and lopy. You should be able to see this on the back end of the attached log.
    Appreciate the suggestion... How would I go about keeping gears 1-3 unlocked... still learning a lot as my primary focus was 1st on the engine side of things. Now looking into the tranny ;-)

19-10-09 08-36-16.hpl

Thanks in advance for a little help here.

Mouritz

Set unlock and lock tables 3000k across 1 and 2.. and on 3 just max it to about 6k or you can set lockup to about 4300 across for a 6k rpm lockup.. you should see a big increase in your 60ft as well with those adjustments.

Tuner in Training
    Hey thanks for the guidance here. Really appreciate your help. I assume you are referring to the Apply & Release speed tables under Transmission / Torque Converter / Apply/Release tab? Will adjust them. Thanks again.
    Last edited by JWM_Jankowitz; 5 Days Ago at 07:25 AM.

Yes sir exactly what I was referring to. If you want a custom tune let me know :P