Thread: gto cam intake exhaust blew up after tuning by EFX Tuning

Potential Tuner

gto cam intake exhaust blew up after tuning by EFX Tuning

I have a 2006 gto with a BTR stage 3 cam, CAI, Long Tube Headers and borla exhaust. 60k on the motor and car

Car was sent to EFX TUNING in New Jersey.
    Got the car back idled seemed fine drove it three times easy no WOT.
    Third time driving in traffic second gear moving along at 1500 RPM car blew up.
    Damage done hole in block, Cracked piston in half snapped connecting rods.
    Cylinder #1 was piston that cracked

Need to figure out what went wrong tuner is telling me that basically its not his problem and that there is nothing he could've done for this to happen to my car. Had this car for years with no issue. Any input would help if I could find out 100% his tuning directly impacted my car to blow up he has no choice but to replace my motor.
    Tuner emailed me the tune file apparently but I cant open it if anyone would be interested in helping me figure out what went wrong I could always email it to you, what I need to know is what would cause such damage.
    Last edited by Gto 6.0; 10-08-2019 at 08:04 PM.

I don't think it's even possible to set up a tune such that it'll break the bottom end at only 1500rpm. If it were that far off it just wouldn't run.

Potential Tuner
    Could it be something in the motor? what would cause the piston to completely crack in half skirt completely gone rod snapped in half ad a hole in the block.
    The motor was rebuilt and the engine builder says it was a "explosion" what caused the damage

Engine could have been hurt while tuning, then it just let go at random but I'm only guessing there. It takes a lot to snap a GEN 4 H connecting rod though.

You can post the tune here using the advanced reply box, that will allow you to use the attachment feature to link it here.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Do not believe anyone can say for 100% certainty. Tune is built based on requests and requirements and data provided by owner. Example would be to ask for a tune supporting 95 octane and then running 87. Big difference in the two if them. Extreme detonation is about the only thing other than oil loss. Being a victim of the latter I can tell and show you that GM has known for years there are issues with oil pumps through 2016. Tech bulletins were not public but they alerted dealerships of issues. On mine it made some noise. Spun 3 mains and 2 rod bearings. This happened at idle or the damage would have been worse. I received NO warranty from GM.

On your tune all of these things appeared to be modified:

Timing increased (Shown in red)
    Dwell time changed
    MAF adjusted
    Fueling leaned out on PE
    LT Fuel trims disabled

10-4-2019 11-13-24 PM.jpg

PIP4158C: Low Oil Pressure Due To Seized Oil Pressure Relief Valve - (Dec 29, 2009)

Subject: Low Oil Pump Pressure due to Seized Oil Pressure Relief Valve

Models: 2008-2009 Buick Lacrosse, Allure (Canada Only)
    2007-2010 Cadillac CTS-V, Escalade
    2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
    2007-2008 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
    2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala SS, Trail Blazer
    2009-2010 Chevrolet Colorado
    2010 Chevrolet Camaro
    2007-2010 GMC Envoy, Sierra, Yukon
    2009-2010 GMC Canyon
    2008-2010 Hummer H2
    2008-2010 H3 Alpha
    2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
    2008-2010 Pontiac G8 GT
    2007-2009 Saab 97x
    with the Following Aluminum V8 Engine RPOs:
    L76, L77, L92, L94, L99, L9H, LC9, LH6, LH8, LH9, LS2, LS3, LS4, LS7, LS9, LSA, LZ1

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
    Condition/Concern:

Some customers may complain of low oil pressure, no oil pressure, and/or engine noise, which may be the result of a sticking oil pump pressure relief valve. In some instances, this may occur intermittently if the valve frees up when the engine cools down.
    Recommendation/Instructions:

If SI diagnosis isolates low mechanical oil pressure at the oil filter housing and oil pressure sensor, replace the oil pump, flush the oil cooler lines (if equipped), clean the inside of the oil pan, change the oil and filter, and re-evaluate the concern.

Notice: If an engine noise is noticed after replacing the oil pump, follow the SI diagnosis and repair the engine as necessary.
    Last edited by jsllc; 10-08-2019 at 11:02 PM.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm