Thread: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 PCM Programming

Potential Tuner

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 PCM Programming

I'm wanting to but a modest 360 magnum, or 408 magnum motor in my 1998 dodge pickup. I'm wanting to keep the EFI system. I'm worried about tuning my PCM to accomodate the aftermarket parts on my 360 magnum, or 408 magnum. Anyone have any experience along these lines? Some have told me to simply go back bone stock 360 and keep things simple. This is a daily driver but was hoping to add a little bit of performance additions but not wanting to complicate things. Any suggestions?

Advanced Tuner
    It can be done as of a couple of weeks ago. Before, your only option was a custom SCT tune (there were some others like B&G), but now you have the option of tuning it yourself with HP Tuners using an MPVI2.

I am aware of a few trucks that have been tuned with SCT with strokers and forced induction.

This is a new application for HP Tuners, so there isn't much information out yet. Also, Dodge tuners in general don't seem to like to share quite as much as the GM guys do.

That being said, there are a few of us enthusiasts that are willing to share.

If you have no idea what you're doing with tuning, it might be best to pay a tuner once you get the mods completed - or spend some serious time (and a little money) learning about tuning before you dive in.

The easiest and cheapest thing to do is to leave it stock, but what fun is that?

i have a 2003 ram with the 360 and ik its newer than a 1998 but i have read a friends 98 with the 360 and the files are almost identical except for injector offset as far as i can tell. the 2003 360 i have tuned has a cam that is a tad over stock and has some chop to it. but they are easy for the most part to tune for aftermarket parts. but to warn you these pcms are known for overheating issues thats why the pcms are a tad different than others. so for tuning you would want to upload the new tune to the pcm and then disconnect the battery for 15 min and then you can reconnect it and start the vehicle to data log or just drive it with the new tune on it. if you dont do this the risk of bricking the pcm is a greater chance(especially if you do back to back uploading tunes). So theres some more info on these pcms that should give you a better idea about them.