Thread: E67 5.3L (LH8) to 6.2L (LS3) Tune Change Advice

Tuner in Training

E67 5.3L (LH8) to 6.2L (LS3) Tune Change Advice

Greetings. New HPT user here. Have bought and ran the program enough to remove the cats and monitors, speed limiter, and add electric PWM fan successfully on to my 2009 5.3L Colorado. Also now adding a wideband to the system. Many thanks to the forum, members, and support here and elsewhere.

Next step is to swap a stock build 6.2L LS3 into the truck and get it up and running fairly quick as this is my daily driver. Engine is done and ready to go in. Should probably just pay to have a start tune developed, but considering to try this myself. Considering that there were no mass produced naturally aspirated 6.2L / LS3 + E67 vehicle combos, looking for line item direction of what to modify in the tune when switching from the 5.3L to 6.2L. I plan to use an L92 truck intake which is nearly same as the one I have on the 5.3L, same 5.3L 87mm throttle body as I have now, same MAF, even the same harness since neither has VVT/DoD, etc.....

Tune change items:

- Engine/cylinder displacement data
    - Injector flow data
    - X
    - Y
    - Z

Should I possibly be looking at snatching the stock tune from a crate LS3 that has an E67 controller, but then just copy those tables over into my tune?

Just looking to get it up and running as stock 430hp, then slightly tune it or have it tuned up by somebody more experienced to 450hp level or so. Probably keeping it all stock, as 200,000 mile longevity is a very high priority.

Thanks.

Copy over the major things from a 6.2 truck file from that same era. The E67/E38 computer are super similar so most of the stuff is labeled exactly the same.

Copy over the MAF curve, VVE data, injector flow rate for which ever injectors you are running. Idle airflow data, throttle scalar. I'd copy the stock timing tables from a 6.2 truck over as well.

It should start up and run pretty decent with just that. Then it's calibrating the MAF/VVE as required with your wideband o2 sensor. Then going for power and timing adjustments later on.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, that's the direction I was looking for. Very helpful, sorry for so green.

Because engine is an LS3 build (stock GM LS3 cam), should I instead copy over the tables from an LS3 car vs L92 truck? Maybe it doesn't make that much of a difference because same basic long block engine and because of the final end tweaks anyway? Perhaps L92 due to the E38 usage and close comparison to the E67?

Apology so many stirring questions. Thanks again.

Using the truck intake in a truck application makes me want to keep the settings more for a truck.

There would be a decent difference in how a LS3 in say a camaro is setup for airflow and timing compared to the much larger plenum of the truck intake.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    5FDP, thank you very much. I'm excited to open both files and start transferring to build my initial start calibration file ("tune"). Been doing a ton of reading, and feeling more confident in most aspects of what is ahead of me. To the point of where I was going to hire this out, but will probably now attempt it all myself. Thanks to you and others for being patient to the new guys, I know it can be frustrating re-posting the same thing over and over again.

One final question before I start this: I so far intend to reutilize the MAF in the 5.3L Colorado when installing the 6.2L. In transplanting the MAF curve from the 6.2L application, how concerned should I be about the MAF's being the same or different between the two applications? I so far don't have a lot of GM experience with the various MAF's they use. I think essentially I have no choice anyway, as the stock 6.2L MAF data will be the best starting point I can get regardless, and it will need to be tuned further once up and running anyway. So, I guess just more of a basic question, are they typically way different? I'd guess almost the opposite, and that they will ty to hold them nearly the same, and I'm seeing the board prefers stock MAF's unless exceeding approx. 500hp, which I will not be.

I have a new but old unused AEM wideband I am asking AEM if they will check the calibration on it since it has sat new in the box for nearly 10 years, before I use it.

Thanks again.