Thread: "unlocker timed out"/"erase failed"/bricked ecu/multiple issues with mpvi2

Potential Tuner

Thumbs down "unlocker timed out"/"erase failed"/bricked ecu/multiple issues with mpvi2

Im new to all of this but i wanted to know if others have had the same problems or have solutions because most of what i get from customer service is "try updating" or when i sent it in all they did was resync, told me it worked and i got it back to brick my truck.
    VCM scanner and editor worked fine for about 2 weeks where it would log and write fine on every try and it slowly became worse and worse with giving me "interface not found" errors in the scanner until it completely stopped logging and certain perameters totally dissapeared like maf in hertz, knock retard, etc. i had some back and forth with customer service where i sent them my logs and debug files and they told me they added some update to my account and to resync. still nothing. they had me send in the unit and told me that they resynced it and it worked. i get it back and it logs but not the parameters i had beforehand so the scanner is still useless and would write every maybe 3 or 4 attempts when it wouldnt get an "unlocker timed out" error or some other myriad of errors.
    I contact them again and they tell me to download the beta suite and repoll the vehicle, send them logs etc. i park the truck for a few days.
    I had a semi working tune to load so i updated to the beta and go to write the tune. "erase failed" and now the truck wont start, the fuel pump doesnt even prime as is used to and i cant write or connect at all with the truck.
    2003 silverado 5.3 and 4l60 in a 1974 c10.
    i know squeaky wheel gets the grease but ive been squeaking for over a month now and still dont have a working product. only thing i can think of is to go to BBB but hp tuners had a d- rating for not addressing complaints so theres that. felling more like a guinea pig than a customer right now.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Have you considered flashing via bench harness? Considering you have a swap vehicle wiring issues are pretty common in these situations so that would be my first recommendation ie rule out wiring issues before pointing fingers.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    all the P01 controllers i have had to do via bench with MPVI2 which is a pain, wish this possible issue could be fixed, seeing and hearing it a fair bit now.
    i have sent for support 3 times and have still not received a definite answer on this issue yet.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by tris909 View Post
    all the P01 controllers i have had to do via bench with MPVI2 which is a pain, wish this possible issue could be fixed, seeing and hearing it a fair bit now.
    i have sent for support 3 times and have still not received a definite answer on this issue yet.
    Keep in mind P01 ecm's stopped being used around 2003 so you are talking about 16+ year old vehicles with 16+ year old wiring in most cases, not really the best case scenerio when trying to flash something as wiring does tend to break down over time.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    I only seem to have had this issue after updating to the mpvi2, I previously read and flashed several of the same vehicles only days before with my old mpvi1 before receiving the mpvi2.
    It's an issue I can live with now I know, it just means removing the pcm to bench it rather than trying my luck.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Have you considered flashing via bench harness? Considering you have a swap vehicle wiring issues are pretty common in these situations so that would be my first recommendation ie rule out wiring issues before pointing fingers.
    It wouldn't make sense that after updating or trying the beta as told by support with the truck PARKED that more issues arise. Or that it would log and work fine up to and including being parked then walk out the next day and the program being totally unuseable then the next day semi working then the next bricking my unit. No rats around here to gnaw on the wiring. Climate is as temperate as you can get around here.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Keep in mind P01 ecm's stopped being used around 2003 so you are talking about 16+ year old vehicles with 16+ year old wiring in most cases, not really the best case scenerio when trying to flash something as wiring does tend to break down over time.
    As well I use an app with a bluetooth dongle for my gauges connected to the same port that the hp tuners seems to be having trouble with so it's not wiring.

Tuner
    I still think it is hardware /software, I seem to have no issues reading and writing currently in car with lsdroid and a $100 obdlink dongle

Potential Tuner
    My MPVI2 did this in my 2005 silverado. I bought a $30 bench harness off of ebay and it worked fine. It will just not program in the truck and the Bluetooth will not work. This is the only way I have found to make it work.

Advanced Tuner
    My mpvi 2 wont read or connect

Quote Originally Posted by paulsmithsr View Post
    My mpvi 2 wont read or connect
    Confirm your device is connecting to your laptop. Might just be the cord. Happened to me once

Potential Tuner
    I am going through the same issue and its not gonna help with bench harness same crap And calling HP is pissing me off to get told download Beta if I do or hear that again I might put a damn hammer to this MPVI2

Potential Tuner
    I'm starting to think HPtuner is crap

Advanced Tuner
    ok well finaly fixed it ---- deleted all files from hp tuners and started fresh redownload program also noticed my windows was not active -reactivated it and
    now it seems to work it now see the mpvi 2 -haven't tried to tune car yet but that how i fixed it so far to get it to recognize the unit

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsmithsr View Post
    ok well finaly fixed it ---- deleted all files from hp tuners and started fresh redownload program also noticed my windows was not active -reactivated it and
    now it seems to work it now see the mpvi 2 -haven't tried to tune car yet but that how i fixed it so far to get it to recognize the unit
    I got another ecu after this bricked the one in my OP. Works and connects and writes but now I cant see ALOT of parameters still. Looks like just generic ones. If course support just asks me to repoll like i havent told them that doesn't work and asked for the logs from the suite blah blah. Cant tune in maf because I cant see it in htz. Cant tune speed density because I cant see af ratio commanded and I cant tune timing because I can't see knock retard. This is after totally resetting my computer and installing everything fresh. I'm at the point where I want to just buy a holley terminator x and take the loss on this garbage.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastassls1969 View Post
    I'm starting to think HPtuner is crap
    +1

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastassls1969 View Post
    I am going through the same issue and its not gonna help with bench harness same crap And calling HP is pissing me off to get told download Beta if I do or hear that again I might put a damn hammer to this MPVI2
    Do you have a number to call them? I cant find one I've been sending emails through support and waiting on them to get back so they can tell me to install the beta again or repoll or something I've already tried.