Thread: Injector timing before starting the MAF/VVE after cam install

Tuner in Training

Injector timing before starting the MAF/VVE after cam install

OK All, I joined HP Tuners about a month or so ago and have used all the tools I can find to get me up and going on my E38 2010 Camaro SS M6 LS3. Very nice to find such great info. So I am trying to sort through the injection timing threads and use the excel spreadsheets I found. I want to get this part right before I start on MAF and VVE so I was wondering if I could get some help on what I need to change in the "boundary" table under injector timing. I know I am supposed to zero out the rpm table and not touch the ECT. From what I read. Cam is for my future Whipple install, maybe next year. It is a BTR PD stage 3 231/248 .617/.595 120+5. cam motion only shows the .05" specs. I logged the injector PW and filled in the spreadsheet. Am I on the right path, and what should I change the boundary table to in what rpm? Thanks for any help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Big Biscuits; 10-13-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Senior Tuner
    what i usually recomend is to make the boundary all 520 if they arnt already, zero out the rpm as u have, then lower the ECT table (whole table or just the operating temps if u want) so lower the 110 until u get the the richest error in the trims/wb then u know where u are so leave it there and adjust fueling so its good again and go for drive as it can affect cruise fueling also, then this is your base point and u can then adjust the boundary to suit above idle as u want as rpm increase, increasing boundary delays injection, that cam dosnt have much overlap at 050 but it does under that from the smooth lobes so u may or may not have to delay it much to get a good result, i only delay it as much at idle as it likes as u may have some reversion also with the late intake close so best to get fuel in before that pulse pushes it out, keep any boundary changes smooth between cells

Tuner in Training
    I will give that a go. I tested what I posted, and it is very sluggish. I brought the under 1024 rpm values back to stock and only adjusted above that to see how it did and now off idle is ok. Still gutless but its rich. I will adjust the MAF(currently have SD off to tune MAF) and see how it does with the new settings. To get the values in the correct places per the recommendations, It seems it needs to be delayed too much in the higher rpm. I think I may be missing a value somewhere. Thank you!

Tuner in Training
    Maybe something like this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    That didn't work. Just went super lean. Maybe stock is the best place for it, but does not follow the spreadsheet at all.

Senior Tuner
    i find setting up idle and 2000-2500 rpm to work with lower cruise PW then above that i ramp it up in PW for power, ur more likely to be cruising at the lower revs then full throttle and it will still work fine full throttle anyway and then u wont be staying down low for long, try bounday all 520, rpm zero, ect all 85, makup pulse min 0.2 see if it helps, it could like something different even try going the opposite way just encase it helps

Tuner in Training
    I will have to wait till it stops raining and spend some idle time with the PW settings. Thank you for the help!

Potential Tuner
    I took a different approach - I left ECT and RPM alone (I figure GM knows something I don't about why you'd curve the rpm like that) and simply retarded (increasing) the boundary by how much later EVC was than stock +10*. I ended up with the boundary (E38 in a 2011 Camaro SS M6) at 550 up through 1536rpm, then tapering back to 520 by 3584rpm. It cleaned up the fuel smell at idle a decent amount, and put good snap back in my off idle performance. Just an alternate approach to consider.

Tuner in Training
    It is all changing the soit and eoit any way it goes. What are your cam specs?