Thread: cant license jtec 2001 jeep grand cherokee

Potential Tuner

cant license jtec 2001 jeep grand cherokee

hp tuner jtec.png

I'm trying to pay the license credit to tune a 2001 jeep grand cherokee with a jtec. I'm not getting the option to license it. someone knows what im doing wrong?

Advanced Tuner
    Are you running the latest beta?
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Potential Tuner
    yeah, im on the latest beta. still cant license it.

Quote Originally Posted by marcoselgueta View Post
    yeah, im on the latest beta. still cant license it.
    Could you contact us at [email protected] with an infolog? Im guessing your controller is failing to identify either its operating system or VIN in our system and its something we'll have to take a look at.
    If its not broke, just give it time.

Potential Tuner
    Same problem with me with same car, can?t find vin.Write it manual, reads file but can?t license it.

Tuner in Training
    I tried two pcms p56041 p56044 cannot license.

Strange that this is happening. I would make sure you have an internet connection when you try to license the ecm. If it doesn't work then try to resync the mpvi2 interface. If memory serves the JTEC and JTECK+ ecms need an active internet connection to license.

Same vehicle, (2001 Grand Cherokee) same problem. I tried the usual things listed above. Has this been resolved? Not cool when there is no listed answer to this post for over a year....we would not have to write and bother HPTuner service staff...
    Last edited by IARLLC; 12-09-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Support already got back to me. They said that it was because the VIN was never programmed into the PCM properly. I will program the VIN into this Jeep next time he stops by and see if it resolves the issue.

My 01 Cherokee didn't have the vin programmed either. I have yet to see a JTEC+ ecm that has had it done from the factory. If you try to write a tune it makes you input the vin to license it.

Yeah, I am not sure that I agree with that reason either. My 2000 XJ needed the VIN typed in when I read it as well...but it was licensed like usual...

Since that is the reason that support gave... I guess I'll program the VIN into this 2001 Grand Cherokee and try again.

Check this out
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...write-the-file

Post #8 says support resolved it for him. Another guy has the same issue as us and support told him to get the VIN programmed. Sounds like it depends who you get when you send a support ticket... We'll see. It would be nice to know for sure if programming the VIN resolves it. Unless support gets back to me with a better option, I'll just program the VIN next time the guy comes by.
    Last edited by IARLLC; 12-09-2020 at 05:54 PM.

So today the customer had a chance to come by. I programmed the VIN into his PCM then re-read with HPTuners. Sure enough, "gather info" saw the VIN so I did not have to type it in. But more importantly, when I went to write it, it let me license the file....and tune the Jeep.

It would be nice if HPTuners did not require this step. Not everybody has the ability to write the VIN. Maybe there is no other way for them to be sure you don't use the same license on a few different Jeeps. I don't know. In the end, the licensing issue is resolved and the Jeep is happy.

Tuner in Training
    Not sure why or how but my 2000 jeep XJ had no problems with licensing the VIN. The process was quirky and clunky and generally very annoying to setup due to needing internet connection for the initial setup. But I got it all figured out in about a hours time. Now if I could just figure how to tune my larger injectors and VE maps. Its all very different than the GM LS stuff.
    current build: 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 4.6L stroker w/mild cam, competition ported Newcomer Racing head, Hardland Sharp rockers, full 3" exhaust, 62mm TB. 24# injectors etc..

LS6 swapped Porsche 944

Yeah, my 2000 XJ had no problem with licensing either. It did not find the VIN during "gather info". I had to type in the VIN but the licensing when as normal.

It looks to me like HPTuners had to draw the line somewhere....so it was 2001. As far as I can tell, if a 2001 or newer does not have the VIN programmed, HPTuners won't allow licensing. My customer's 2001 Grand Cherokee would not license after I typed in the VIN but after I used factory equipment to program the VIN then HPTuners read the VIN automatically during "gather info" and was simple to license.

Potential Tuner
    Greetings, I have recently purchased MPVI3. It is not possible to connect with ECM P56044 of jeep Grand Cherokee. Any solution for thicomunicacion error.jpgs problem?

Advanced Tuner
    You need a MPVI or MPVI2 to read and write the JTEC and other older ECUs. HPtuners should keep selling the MPVI2 for that very reason, but I don't think they do.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the answer, unfortunately 3 colleagues recommended this equipment to me and I only bought it to do this job. The distributor of this equipment in my country was unaware that this equipment no longer does what is mentioned. Dear Steven@HPTuners
    How can I solve this problem? I sincerely want the equipment but I want it to do the job for which I bought it, otherwise it is obsolete. I await a response or some means by which to connect directly with you. Greetings

Potential Tuner
    https://www.hptuners.com/articles/jt...mw1g%3D.TBic7m

Email went out a bit after your post if you didn't see it. Cheers