Thread: Z06 spark advance spike in baseline table

Potential Tuner

Z06 spark advance spike in baseline table

Hi - i cant find an answer through searching. Looking at C6 Z06 (LS7), (at least in 2007 and 2008), in table 12625 ECT Spark advance correction - mult, there is a spike in the multiplier at 194 degrees engine temp. I dont understand why that is there (it is not there in LSA engine tune, for example). 194 is the stock thermostat opening temp.
    I am mostly concerned because if I am running a different thermostat, the engine will not spend much time at 194. Did GM want the engine to have a special advance right at normal operating temp - 194?
    It is weird that the correction would be zero right up to 194, then spike to 3.2-3.5 at 194, then immediately go back down to less than 1 at 212.
    on the 3D mapping of the table, the spike is quite visible.

thanks for any thoughts - justin

Tuning Addict
    Base ect correction is 0 at 90c, so nothing there for the multiplier to multiply - just remember this when making mods to the base ect table if you do add in a correction in this column Multiplier's work from their corresponding tables - not the main spark table such as ect multiplier multiplies the corrections based off of temperature in the base ect table - hope that helps...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Base ect correction is 0 at 90c, so nothing there for the multiplier to multiply - just remember this when making mods to the base ect table if you do add in a correction in this column Multiplier's work from their corresponding tables - not the main spark table such as ect multiplier multiplies the corrections based off of temperature in the base ect table - hope that helps...
    that makes a lot of sense
    thanks for that response
    not sure why they would have that "spike" in the multipler value there, given that it is working against a zero base value. most of the time, when I study the tune, the factory things make sense, but not so much (at least not yet to me)

so bottom line, is that even if my engine is running cooler than 194 most of the time, this should not affect the spark advance

thanks