Thread: Number of Data Channels

Tuner in Training

Number of Data Channels

I just want to verify something. Is TrackAddict only able to record 3 data channels for data logging? From questions that I asked before, it was my understanding that it was the app version of VCM Scanner.

TrackAddict only *display* 3 channels on that left dash panel, but its data logs will record all GPS, accelerometer, barometer, OBD, etc. channels that it is receiving. For OBD stuff, you'll want to connect the OBD device and then go select which available OBD channels you want to capture.

TrackAddict is not quite the mobile version of VCM Scanner, although there is some overlap in that it can capture vehicle data for you, and on Android it works with the MPVI2 as well. It's more of a motorsports data/video acquisition and lap timer app.

Tuner
    Do you guys have any plans to add more of VCM scanner's capabilities (ie logging non-OBD data) to TrackAddict, or develop another mobile app that would have that capability?

Something that could datalog normal driving while tuning/testing without needing a laptop would be a wonderful thing to have!

Tuner
    I vote for an Android version too. Would be killer to capture the VCM scanner PIDs on my phone.

Tuner in Training
    I would like to know about an Android app to capture VCM Scanner PIDs also. The only reason that I was initially interested in the MPVI2 was it was supposed to data log without a laptop. It was supposed to, but it seems rolling out the MPVI2 was more important than having all of the features working. Unfortunately, I had to buy the MPVI2 anyway because my car was tuned with HPTuners. I use the DashCommand app which captures a lot of PIDs, so I know it is possible.

For TrackAddict, Weston said it data logs channels that it is receiving. How can you tell what channels are being received and which are not available? The HPTuners website has a list of supported vehicles, but why no list of supported parameters like DashCommand has? It is hard to be happy about the MPVI2 when I have to post questions on a forum and hope that someone answers it.

Yes, we are actively working on expanding our mobile app capabilities for MPVI2 users, to include a way to capture an extensive selection of data channels like VCM Scanner does, along with vehicle flashing capabilities. There will be at least one new app coming for this, but my desire is to support this data acquisition expansion in TrackAddict as well.

Although we're not ready to announce specifics or a release date yet, I can at least confirm that we're doing it, and I'm personally super excited at how much progress has been made... This is all stuff I'll be using on my own cars as well. It has been a long time coming, and a large part of what I originally joined HP Tuners to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    For TrackAddict, Weston said it data logs channels that it is receiving. How can you tell what channels are being received and which are not available? The HPTuners website has a list of supported vehicles, but why no list of supported parameters like DashCommand has? It is hard to be happy about the MPVI2 when I have to post questions on a forum and hope that someone answers it.
    When you have an OBD device enabled in TrackAddict, you can go to the Setup screen (tap the 'i' gear icon on the left of the main screen), and then the OBD section has a button labelled "Select Data Channel / Scan Codes"... this will show you everything presently available from the vehicle and let you select which ones you want to capture. At the present time, TrackAddict's OBD-II data primarily comes from SAE parameters, a list of which can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs#Service_01 These are the standardized parameters that work the same across all vehicles, but the catch is that each vehicle or manufacturer will only support a subset of them via this method.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Weston! I am not sure if you are involved with VCM Scanner or not. I have been learning how to use VCM Scanner on my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee which is supposed to be a supported vehicle. In the Channel Selector for the Grand Cherokee, I saw OBD ECM and ODB TCM. I didn’t see anything about the transmission in either one. I figured that OBD TCM would have parameters for the transmission, but it didn’t. Do you know if any parameters for the transmission should be available? At least the Current Transmission Gear?

Do you know if a CSV file can be "created" to be read by VCM Scanner? I have an "other" app that logs all of the PIDs that I need and it creates a CSV file. The "other" app's CSV file can't be open by VCM Scanner even after I modified it. Do you know it's possible to modify a CSV file so that it can be read by VCM Scanner and what it would take?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    Yes, we are actively working on expanding our mobile app capabilities for MPVI2 users, to include a way to capture an extensive selection of data channels like VCM Scanner does, along with vehicle flashing capabilities. There will be at least one new app coming for this, but my desire is to support this data acquisition expansion in TrackAddict as well.
    Last edited by ELaw; 11-11-2019 at 06:13 AM.