Thread: Please check tune for Idle / slow speed issue

Tuner in Training

Please check tune for Idle / slow speed issue

Tune shop got file corrected and now engine runs pretty good. Only real issue is with low rpm / idle engine dies kind of randomly.

to re fresh

Its a LQ9 stuffed into a 95 Impala.

Bottom end stock
    706 worked heads about 11:1 CR
    BTR Stage 3 Ca.m
    52cc injectors, good ones
    Mid length headers
    built 4l60E , 3100 Stall
    Stock TB for the LQ9 which is out of a 2004 Escalade
    CP wiring harness, DBW parts stock from the Caddy.

The engine will run good above 1000, and with the cam below 1000 pretty lumpy. Starts up and Idles fine hot or cold. Blip the throttle and 3 outa 5 times engine dies while in park, 4 out 5 when in drive. Worst case is when coming to a slow turn engine may die and no PS.

Can I get a review of the attached tune file ?2004 Cad Escalade sept 30 2019.hpt

A few things kinda bug me. Whoever tuned it, did it as a 5.3 engine size, that does matter if you want to get technical because if you changed it to a 6.0 cylinder size, you'd have to go back over the airflow model again.

The base running airflow is exactly the same for Park and Drive, typically there is a difference between the two because one obviously has a load on the engine and the other does not.

The under/over speed spark corrections for idle are far too aggressive, they should be cut way back and it could help with the idle quality under 1,000rpm.

That's just a quick run through without being able to see a data log and being able to see fueling. Most things fall into place if fueling is not a problem.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    ok , thanks . I guess I need to go back to the tune shop to get a log file pulled. They already asking why I wanted the tune file.

Same folks who put a 2006 Silverado OS in my 04 PCM
    Last edited by VF1000R; 10-16-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Seems that you may not get anywhere with this if you don't own HPT yourself. If the shop didn't address this stuff the first time around like they should have, doesn't seem like they will do anything now. The stalling issue should have been caught before it ever left their hands, that camshaft is by no means crazy.

That stuff I listed is super basic for anyone that has done this stuff for a while, they should know better. Too many places that just slam cars on and off the dyno. If it runs, drives and makes a okay power on the dyno graph they just send it right out the door.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Seems that you may not get anywhere with this if you don't own HPT yourself. If the shop didn't address this stuff the first time around like they should have, doesn't seem like they will do anything now. The stalling issue should have been caught before it ever left their hands, that camshaft is by no means crazy.

That stuff I listed is super basic for anyone that has done this stuff for a while, they should know better. Too many places that just slam cars on and off the dyno. If it runs, drives and makes a okay power on the dyno graph they just send it right out the door.

I downloaded the trial version of VCM suite. Do you know if it will allow me to connect to the car and pull the log file ? I do have the adapter for OBD as I use OBDCOM for monitoring. Id rather not go back to that shop.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by VF1000R View Post
    I downloaded the trial version of VCM suite. Do you know if it will allow me to connect to the car and pull the log file ? I do have the adapter for OBD as I use OBDCOM for monitoring. Id rather not go back to that shop.
    Well, that didnt work.