Thread: Multiple tunes

Tuner in Training

Multiple tunes

Hey guys. I?ve got a 2015 Sonic RS 1.4t that I?m teaching myself to tune with. I?ve been at it for the better part of 6 months now, maybe more...? Time flies. I?ve been doing pretty good. My question is how can I set up the cruise control button to switch between a stock tune and my high boost tune? Trifecta tuning does this so I know that it?s possible. I?ve been researching like crazy but haven?t found any for sure concrete answers. I?ve seen talk of layered tuning, which I?m not at all familiar with, RTT, and the User Defined Parameters feature. I see in my ECM (E78) that there?s already slightly different maps for Eco/Sport/Tow, and Winter/4x4 modes. That?s strange because Sonics don?t have any of that. The 1.4t Trax/Encore does have flex fuel but my Sonic ECM has no maps for that. I?m not sure why GM left the different mode maps in but not flex fuel. It makes me think that trifecta tells the ECM somehow that the cruise control button also functions as an Eco mode button, and then the different map can be used on the fly.. I apologize for my long winded post, but I greatly appreciate any help I can receive with this. Thank you

Tuner
    i could swear i saw this exact text ... somewhere ... just can't remember where... jk.

As far as i know trifecta is the only one that did the different tunes by pressing the cruise control button. I believe they had their own separate software that can do that, i have never seen anyone else outside trifecta do that. in short, i don't think you can do it.

i dont think your car is flex fuel capable from the factory (at least not according to gmauthority.com). not sure if you can add the sensor and turn on the flex fuel maps. make sure you select Edit >> View >> Advanced in VCM Editor to make sure the editor isn't hiding tables from you. The flex fuel tables are not all in 1 spot, they are kind of sprinkled in the different categories.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    hptuners does not offer the capability to switch tunes on ecotec's that i am aware of. Trifecta flashes an overlay file over the top which allows a toggle between maps by monitoring a driver input source and looking for a special condition (holding cruise button, traction button, ect.) oem stays behind and a trifecta tune or in the past an hpt file could be flashed in to allow toggling from oem to a performance file. In my personal opinion if the computer is tuned properly then you will have great performance all around for your driving habits. My stock everything SSTC made 326 hp and 348 tq on the floor and i got 34 mpg driving around the congested so cal cities and freeways. obviously the numbers would be different for the smaller engine but you dont need tune switching to accomplish the results you are likely after.
    if your stuck with tune switching then i would reach out to e-motionproducts and ask about their ngauge before talking to Trifecta. I have heard you can put tunes on an sd card and then use the ngauge to flash them in. i never used it but their website states it supports e38/e67/e92, but that was last updated december 2018. they may have new information that can help with e78. worth the ask since your already at no.

RTT is real time tuning and if available makes dyno tuning a breeze since you can make adjustments without flashing 10,000 times.

You will have to take this for whatever you deem its worth since im no ecm code master, but User Defined Parameters is kind of a no for ecotec. I searched hard for about 6 months and basically found that you need a hex file, and you need a conversion file. The hex file is pulled from the oem computer and can be read but without the conversion file, the breakdown of the hex is damn near impossible to understand. I found some places that would sell it for an outrageous price only affordable by corporations and well off businesses, but nothing i could find for a reasonable price in terms of joe shmoe home user.

GM leaves the map codes in there because the ecu is not just used for your car application, its shared among a slew of platforms and you do have to remember these ecu models we have access to as consumers have also been used in R&D testing which means an engineer can ask for code that can test different applications in the concept phase and just leave the code in there because its more work to remove it once its already in there than it is to just disable it by removing the toggle signal wire from the harness or setting the activation values to prevent system switching or activation.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    No my car isn?t flex fuel capable, I know that. I was just using that as an example. I can simply add the flex fuel sensor and simply enable and build the maps for it. Very popular mod for Sonics

Tuner in Training
    The main reason I?m wanting a switchable tune is for wear and tear. My 20psi tune us great and drivability is just fine. Only think I?ve gotta do to it is figure out how to adjust the AFRs with IAT. Now that it?s getting colder here I?m starting to see 13.5-14.0 in boost whereas I?ve targeted 12.5-12.7 in my PE table. BUT I don?t want to run around on my 20psi tune because my motor and turbo are just simply not designed to handle that full time. Gas mileage isn?t my main concern at all, even though it does go down a decent bit with the tune on. I?m just trying to preserve my car as a good, fun, reliable daily but also be able to have some fun when someone wants to race.

I?ve looked into the Ngauge and it honestly sounds like a PITA... if I?m gonna do that I?ll just keep my laptop with me and stop to switch tunes when I want to lol. RTT would make that faster but still ehh.

I think I?m gonna talk to trifecta and see if I can sweet talk somebody into selling me their software or whatever they use. That is, if it?s even compatible with HPT, but I?d imagine HPT is what they?re using for the tuning because what else could they use lol

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    save your oem file with hpt before you use trifecta. once you do use trifecta keep a good contact in case it needs to be reversed.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Doesn?t matter. They told me they can?t allow anybody to use or purchase their software. Of course. Was worth a shot though. I guess I?m just gonna run around stock until it?s time for a car meet or something