Thread: Emissions testing incomplete - OBD2 Tests - CEL/MIL flashing

Emissions testing incomplete - OBD2 Tests - CEL/MIL flashing

I noticed that my tunes from after June or July of this year would cause the OBD2 tests to never complete, specifically for the O2 sensor, catalyst, and other monitors. This causes the CEL/MIL to flash when you turn on the car (not the engine) and wait about 15-20 seconds. I'd run VCM Scanner, FORScan, or other diagnostic tools to check on the OBD2/emissions tests and they'd never complete. It's been about 10 days now with the current tune, and averaging 40-45 miles per day of mixed driving conditions. I looked and compared with my tunes from earlier this year and there's nothing I can see that would indicate I turned off anything. As it stands, the car wouldn't pass emissions inspection.

Any ideas? The ECU is a TC-1797 from a Fusion Sport 2.7 if that matters

It can be a REAL pain to get them to complete.

Check out this thread I made, attempting to catalog some of the best info from other long threads:

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...missions-Tests

I've never had a problem completing them in the past. Something seems to have changed with how HPTuners handles the tune files, because now it won't ever complete the tests.

Advanced Tuner
    thats troublesome. Do a full obdii and pcm reset with forscan and see if that allows things to come back to normal.
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/

On my Explorer, it completed all the tests except for Fuel System. On the Fusion Sport it seems most of them are not completed like O2 Sensor and Evap. It all started to change sometime around the VCM software from July or August 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    On my Explorer, it completed all the tests except for Fuel System. On the Fusion Sport it seems most of them are not completed like O2 Sensor and Evap. It all started to change sometime around the VCM software from July or August 2019.
    I've had weird stuff happen when flashing cal only and now I do a write entire every flash.

Also you may need to rebuild your tune file from your stock file if hpt corrupted it somehow with one of the beta builds

I think I figured it out.
    The factory tune for the Explorer has the O2 Monitor ECT min at 180F, so the O2 monitoring tests aren't enabled until ECT gets here. It takes forever for my Explorer to warm up over this during the winter. I noticed other Fords have it at a much lower setting like 130F.

I lowered it to 130F and sure enough, the Fuel System test which used to take over a month, now was complete after about 10 days of daily driving. Similar/same as my Fusion Sport and other Fords.

So with the ECT Min temp at 130F on the 2.7 EcoBoost, I can get my OBD2 Readiness tests completed within 2 drive cycles. I have noticed that prior to changing this setting, it was always easier to complete the tests during the summer. Since my N/A 3.5 in the Explorer tends to run cool as it is, in the winter the stock setting of 180F meant the engine barely gets any time in this region at all so would explain why it takes well over a month.

Advanced Tuner
    in a perfect world the ecu should reach the optimal perfect temp of 212 everytime you drive it

if not you have a cooling system problem

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    in a perfect world the ecu should reach the optimal perfect temp of 212 everytime you drive it

if not you have a cooling system problem
    It's a matter of how long it takes to reach over 180F and how long you are driving at that temperature. My Fusion Sport with the 2.7 EcoBoost will regulate the ECT to around 200-205F even in the summer with the stock thermostat. My N/A 3.5 V6 in the Explorer has the Class III Towing Package so they added the engine oil cooler. My ECT doesn't get over 190F in the winter time even with the grille shutters closed. But in the summer it will easily hit 200F with the fan running.

The only time my engines ever hit 212F or higher is if I am running the factory stock tune and the factory fan settings. I try to keep it a bit lower than that especially on the Fusion since the coolant is used for cooling the transfer case and the transmission. It doesn't even cause the fans to run that loud or continuously.