Thread: 0411 Swap programming help

Potential Tuner

0411 Swap programming help

Hi, my name is Thomas. I'm new to HP Tuners and I have been working on the 0411 swap in my 98 2500 7.4L for about 4 months now off and on. I have checked and rechecked my wiring until I'm blue in the face. I've come to the conclusion that I'm doing something wrong in the programming. I have tried 3 pcms now, 1 used and 2 from Oreillys. I am reading the file from pcm, opening compare file for 02 express stock tune, opening compare log, right clicking, copy over all differences, then I close compare file, then I'm turning off VATs, gen codes, then I'm writing entire. I have licensed the pcm and the tune file from the repository. My truck only runs if I give it throttle and it runs like the firing order is off but I've checked in the file and it shows to be 18436572 for the firing order and it doesn't run any different if I change the firing order back to the 5.3 firing order and back again manually. I can wire my black box pcm back in and the truck runs fine. PLEASE, someone tell me what I'm doing wrong in programming. I'm starting to think I was sent a bad MPVI2 unit. Also, I am going off the wiring I got from Lex Tech (Jeff). Thank you in advance.

Advanced Tuner
    Firing order in these PCMs is only for misfire reference. The big deal is the injector bank select. I believe the firing order is the same as my lt1 so injector bank select should be 01101001.

Also make sure injector and coil wiring is correct. Swap 7&4 and 3&2
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Potential Tuner
    I double checked and my injector bank is 01101001 and I swapped 7&4 and 3&2 and it doesn't help. Thank you for the info though

I'm trying not to confuse myself with what you typed on the compare file/write dealio stuff.

So the computer you have started life as a 5.7 Express VAN file or it is something else?

Isn't the idea to flash the computer with a stock Express van file so it's operating system is that from the get go instead of using the compare feature to copy data over a LS based file.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    i think your problem is wiring related, please check B+ pins(orange cables) for the ecu are B+ and not IGN+, a days back had an issue with a friend that had that pins with the ign and i could never tune the idle, when i check the wiring that was the problem, i hope works for you

Potential Tuner
    The one I currently have in the truck is a reman from Oreillys. It started with an 01 Silverado 5.3 file, even though I ordered it for an Express van since its the same part number. I used an 02 Express stock tune fie from the tune repository and used the compare feature

Potential Tuner
    RML_s13, I will double check that. Thank you

Advanced Tuner
    The PCM must be fully programmed with a 2001 or 2002 Express / Savana L31 5.7L calibration. I do this using GM software, you could try the "write entire" option using HPT.

You cannot use an LS engine truck calibration - while copying over the visible parameters of an Express / Savana calibration - and expect this to work correctly. Too much in the background is not copied over via tuning software - the 4x CKP will not work correctly.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you Jon S. I'm taking my pcm to the shop with me today so my boss and I can use our J box and do a factory flash on it. Then I'll turn off the VATs and ALT codes with HP Tuners. I have quadruple checked my wiring as per the spreadsheet I received from Lex Tech for the third time. I keep pulling codes that come up as 4L60e codes only even though my file shows I have it as 4L80e and have it wired as such plus I'm getting the gen codes that I show as disabled so I think your right on to my issue. I hope this works.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for all the suggestions on my issue. I did a factory flash with our equipment at work and then deleted vats with hpt as a baseline and it solved my issue. Now I can get to tuning her. I'm surprised that hpt does not allow for rewriting the pcm, I'm glad I have access to flash software and I'm very glad to have finally gotten this issue solved. Thank you Jon S. for hitting the nail on the head.

HPT can do a full flash, it just costs more money in credits is all. For most that is not worth because the proper flash tool is the better/safer idea.

You could have taken the computer you had a license for, licensed a stock 5.7 file, then done a write entire with that 5.7 file over the the factory file on the computer. That would then make the computer a 5.7 van file. So we are already up to 4 credits burned just to do that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    5fdp, I tried doing just that as per instructions from The Tuning School, where I purchased my MPVI2. I think my unit is having issues as now that I have the truck running on the 0411 PCM, I can't make any changes. I keep getting the codes for the alternator and rear O2s even though I have turned them off and my speedometer wont calibrate even though I have gone through the gear and tire wizard. The rep for The Tuning School had me leave a voicemail with the tech guy and told me I need to get with HP Tuners about it, even though I purchased it from them. I thought I was just still trying to learn this software but I have followed all instructions to a T. Thank you for your help

Tuner in Training

file ?

Quote Originally Posted by thotrodr View Post
    5fdp, I tried doing just that as per instructions from The Tuning School, where I purchased my MPVI2. I think my unit is having issues as now that I have the truck running on the 0411 PCM, I can't make any changes. I keep getting the codes for the alternator and rear O2s even though I have turned them off and my speedometer wont calibrate even though I have gone through the gear and tire wizard. The rep for The Tuning School had me leave a voicemail with the tech guy and told me I need to get with HP Tuners about it, even though I purchased it from them. I thought I was just still trying to learn this software but I have followed all instructions to a T. Thank you for your help

x2 please post the file. Some DTCs are "special" and are difficult to disable, can't tell if that's what you're running into without something to look at.

Actually, post the most recent file you tried to write, and also do a fresh 'read entire' and post that file too so they can be compared.

We had a similar issue, we had to change the crank sensor setting with HPT and it started right up.