Thread: wideband?

Tuner in Training

wideband?

I have a 03 Silverado SS. what is a good wideband setup to run with the MPVI2. no AWD dyno's close to me and I need a good way to tune my new build.

Potential Tuner
    i personally like anything from innovative.
    im using the innovative lc1 model #3795 with my 6.0 swapped silverado and its as good as it gets i feel. aem is a great choice as well

Tuner in Training
    I personally use a Glowshift. I know they're a generally considered "cheap" but I haven't had any issues with mine in the three years I've owned it. My first time tuning a car was a 5.3 turbo and I haven't blown it up yet so the wideband must be someone ok.

I bought an AEM 30-4110 in May. It uses the Bosch 4.9LSU Wideband UEGO O2 sensor. The gauge is fine but I've had to replace the sensor twice. AEM replaced the first one as a "goodwill" gesture but told me I'm on my own from here on. They're not cheap to replace and so far the longest one has lasted is 3 months. Consider the cost replacement sensors when you make your choice - they do go bad and some more than others it seems.
    55 Belair swapped 2000 LQ4, 4L80E, 873 cast iron heads have been swapped for 853's, truck manifolds, 2 1/2 inch exhaust, glass pack mufflers, no cats.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Belair View Post
    I bought an AEM 30-4110 in May. It uses the Bosch 4.9LSU Wideband UEGO O2 sensor. The gauge is fine but I've had to replace the sensor twice. AEM replaced the first one as a "goodwill" gesture but told me I'm on my own from here on. They're not cheap to replace and so far the longest one has lasted is 3 months. Consider the cost replacement sensors when you make your choice - they do go bad and some more than others it seems.
    My glowshift also uses the Bosch 4.9LSU Wideband and I haven't had an issue. It's on a street car. I think you may have something wrong with placement if you're burning them up that quickly. Even if you are heavily using them I would think they're supposed to last longer than that.

I've installed or tuned on around 100 AEM wideband sensors, from 2006 to now and I can't recall a single time any sensor has ever gone bad in anybody's car when it was installed properly.

The cheapest hobby level AEM wideband unit responds faster and starts up quicker than Innovative, has a better controller (better hardware) and smaller package.
    It is overall superior in every way.

historical
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post553314

Tuner in Training
    I have the mpvi2. What do I need so it will read thur the vcm? Or is there a other way to tune with wideband?

the wideband analog signal output is 0-5volts. It can be used with MANY controllers. You could even use a chip like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-IC-LM3...72.m2749.l2649

To read a 0-5v signal and turn on LED one at a time to indicate air fuel ratio.

There are many ways to get signal into HPtuners scanner also. You can try searching google for those many ways, there are many videos.

Plx sm-afr. Great unit and has great heater control for the LSU 4.9 sensor unlike innovative (unless they have finally figured out a better way to modulate it).

Tuner
    May have a stupid question.... Can I put a wideband in place of the stock one and just run it all the time in the PCM? Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by 99k2500 View Post
    May have a stupid question.... Can I put a wideband in place of the stock one and just run it all the time in the PCM? Why not?
    This is something I do frequently. You need to first convert the 0-5v analog signal from typical wideband into a 0-1v signal.
    You can code an arduino to take an analog input and use analog output for fine control of stepping 0 to 1v signals graded to make sense to the factory ecu.

Most of the time though the computer will only work with one value, and I prefer the stoichiometry as an economical cruise value. So I often find that in typical closed loop I will shoot for 0.122mv = 15.27:1 and .985mv = 14.85:1

As to why not. If the wideband fails it can be like a narrowband failure. And wideband tend to be more 'unreliable' in the big picture than a narrowband. So it's sort of like taking an unnecessary risk. Unless of course you want that economical bandwidth of 15.2:1 air fuel ratios happening. In which case you either need closed loop analog control or simply run open loop full time and dial the air temperature while you drive if necessary (I find it important with OEM GM ecu)

Advanced Tuner
    No, won't work

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Why I can't put a wideband in place of the stock one and just run it all the time in the PCM?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLoch View Post
    No, won't work
    Yes you can, and is answered in post 10 above yours.
    Currenlty all i have is a wideband in my daily driver..

Potential Tuner
    I purchased a SM-AFR from PLX devices in January 2023, I didn't install it until April, It didn't work out of the box, I went back and forth with the "tech" he was convinced it was the O2 sensor, he wouldn't cover it, so I bought another sensor, he gave me free shipping and 10% off. that took another 10 days. I finally sent it in for warranty, shipping was at my expense. it arrived in California may 18th 2023, it's now July 27th 2023 and I still have not received it back. the "tech" says they are busy and are having supply issues even though I see the have some for sale. I asked speak with his manager and he told me he was the manager. I thought I would share my experiences with you.

Potential Tuner
    Ensure that the wideband system you choose is compatible with the MPVI2 tuning device you have. The MPVI2 is a popular tuning tool used with HP Tuners software, so you'll want a wideband that can integrate well with it. Garten Of Banban 4
    poppy playtime chapter 3