Thread: Is there a way to run gen2 engine with gen1 ecu without cam and follwer change?

Advanced Tuner

Is there a way to run gen2 engine with gen1 ecu without cam and follwer change?

Gen1 engine got wrecked and gen2 engines are available. Is there a way to control cam timing correctly on gen2 engine with gen1 ecm?

The general consensus seems to be "no".

But I'm wondering if that's just because it isn't "plug and play". Mechanically and electrical connector-wise it seems like they bolt together, judging only from stories of people who then couldn't get rid of PCM error codes after running it this way.

Very curious if this can be handled in the tune, because I want to build a new engine for my Gen 1 car in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapi View Post
    Gen1 engine got wrecked and gen2 engines are available. Is there a way to control cam timing correctly on gen2 engine with gen1 ecm?
    Yes without any problem - you just need to time the chains a bit differently.

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting, could you open this a bit more?

Sure, ECU is 100% configurable for this mod - I did some tests. The same way you can run GT350 engine in GT.
    Gen 2 has a different chain timing events - banks are spaces differently, further apart like one complete rev more. You fix that, enter gen 1 data and it should work.
    But we never tried this way, not sure I even want to take this route. But IMHO 100% doable with some persistence.

The easiest way to do this - done and confirmed, lots of swaps documented on FB groups, confirmed personally.
    -buy 2 gen engine
    -swap cams with phasers/chains
    -time your gen 2 like gen 1
    -good to go

His whole post is centered on not swapping the cams and phasers though.

Advanced Tuner
    x2 that was rather useless

theres a 2 sided answer to this

is it possible? yes, all you would need to do is compare the cam sync and controls of the gen2 profile and copy it to the gen1 strategy

is it worthwhile? not really. It would take someone that has a complete disassembly of both strategies to fully understand each cam types code and has the free time ability and motivation to manually cut and splice the differences over.

its extremely time consuming and the cam sync routines are a muther code wise
    on the plus side coyotes have so much free memory a complete copy and paste could be possible with just addressing timers flags and fault code lookups updated
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/

Theoretically you just change your cam base in tune to 0 and now you have 1 gen timing - as mentioned 2 gen timing travels 1 rev more hence it has 340/369 baseline - and good to go.
    2 gen has a mid-lock phaser for intake cam - not sure how it would behave with 1 gen ECU I guess it won't work. Swapping cams/chains/phasers takes 3h - not worth the hassle.

LSA is the same, no need to hack anything LOL

Clipboard01.jpg
    Last edited by veeefour; 10-24-2019 at 05:06 AM.

In this Ford PDF, they sure make it sound possible:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...rence_2-16.pdf

Camshafts: The Gen 2 camshafts are 13mm lift
    on the intake and exhaust, which is 1mm of added lift
    vs. the Gen 1 Coyote. Gen 2 camshafts must be used with the Gen 2 chaindrive and phasers

Chain-drive: The Gen 2 phasers , primary chain,
    and crank-sprocket are a matched set and cannot
    be interchanged with Gen 1 chain-drive. Also, VCT
    bolts are new for Gen 2 chain-drive due to bolt
    clearance to VCT solenoids.

A calibration modification will be needed due to Gen
    2 mid-lock phasers

• Chain Drive Kit PN - M-6004-A5015