Thread: Downloading e38 2bar

Downloading e38 2bar

So when I apply the 2 bar in HP it says to save it then write entire. But it tells you to not make any changes before saving. My question is after I save it do I fill in the VE tables before I download (write entire) or not. The instructions here on the forum say to fill them out before you write entire and the software has warnings that kinda make me second guess that.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Help file outlines it perfectly

Application Procedure (GenIII V8)
    To apply the enhancement to your PCM please use the following procedure. NOTE: the procedure involves the use of the "Write Entire" process. This process is not guaranteed to be safe. Please do not attempt to write the entire VCM if you have had any trouble reading or writing the VCM in the past. If an error occurs during writing of critical operating system components and the VCM is powered down, the VCM will become unrecoverable via software methods.

1. Start with a stock or existing tune from the PCM.
    2. Open the file in VCM Editor
    3. Select Operating System, a window will appear with choices available.
    4. Apply the relevant modification by clicking the button.
    5. When prompted, save the file under a new name something like "XYZ_2bar.bin". This is now your new "Base" file that must be used for all future tuning.
    6. The editor will automatically close the file after saving.
    7. Open the newly saved file in the editor. You should see that the operating system ID has changed from your original file.
    8. (This step for 2bar and 3bar enhancement only) The VE table will be full of invalid data. You *must* create a valid VE table before writing the file to the PCM. It is a good idea to copy your previous VE table into the non-boost region and then copy and increase the last row of the VE table to the new boost area. It is important to start tuning on the rich side (higher numbers) and then work back to your desired AFR.
    9. Save the file in the editor, you are now ready to write to the PCM.
    10. IMPORTANT: The next step involves using the "Write Entire" option. Remember this option is not 100% recoverable on failure in some circumstances. Do NOT disconnect the battery if you have problems during this next step. Once this step is completed you can use the regular "Write VCM" function for all tuning changes.
    11. Connect to the vehicle and turn on ignition, wait 10secs.
    12. Still in VCM Editor with your file open, select Flash -> Write Entire. The process takes approximately 2-4 minutes depending on vehicle type.
    13. When the write is completed, turn off ignition and wait 30secs.
    14. Turn on ignition, wait 10secs.
    15. The PCM should display the new operating system ID. (Not available on GM 98 V8 vehicles)
    16. At this point the VCM should be now running the new operating system and you can now use the regular and safe "Write VCM" for all future tuning changes.
    17. Do not perform steps 17 and 18 if you are running 2bar on a GM 98 V8 vehicle. The SAE MAP PID has been reconfigured in the OS for your vehicle to read properly.
    18. (This step for 2bar and 3bar enhancement only) Open VCM Scanner and connect to the vehicle. Open the Table display (Scan -> Table Display). Right-click the "Manifold Air Pressure (SAE)" PID and select "Delete". This removes the existing 1 bar PID from the table, if you don't do this the histogram will not function correctly.
    19. (This step for 1/2/3 bar Speed Density enhancements only) Right-click the "Mass Air Flow(SAE)" PID and select "Delete". This removes the existing MAF PID, if you don't do this the histogram will not function correctly.
    20. (This step for 2bar and 3bar enhancement only) Right-click again on the table display cell and select "Insert", go to the Engine -> Airflow section and choose either the "Manifold Air Pressure - 2 bar" or "Manifold Air Pressure - 3 bar" PID, double-click to insert it into the table.
    21. (This step for 2bar and 3bar enhancement only) Save the new scanner configuration using File -> Save Config.
    22. You are now ready to tune using your new enhanced PCM.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Thanks for that Bill. I found this one for the gen 4 E38 ECM (https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_ed...ters_gm_os.htm) and already read it. I was just worried because when you apply the 2 bar in HP it tells you something different.

20191022_145509.jpg

It just means don't make any changes between applying the update, and saving/reopening. Once you reopen it you can change anything you want before the first write-entire.

Thanks that's what I was looking for. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything

Potential Tuner

gen 4 e38 how do i get 2 bar os?

Quote Originally Posted by ProFire View Post
    So when I apply the 2 bar in HP it says to save it then write entire. But it tells you to not make any changes before saving. My question is after I save it do I fill in the VE tables before I download (write entire) or not. The instructions here on the forum say to fill them out before you write entire and the software has warnings that kinda make me second guess that.

Senior Tuner
    save it is just saving it so its becomes a tune file, if u dont save it then the 2 bar isnt applied to the file yet, once saved u can make changes to it then write entire first flash

Potential Tuner
    i am trying to get 2 bar but i can not find a os to down load can u send me step by step please

Potential Tuner
    thanks bill but i do not get an optionunder os for 2 bar

Senior Tuner
    if u dont have the option then u cant, just use VVE will be fine out to 3 bar