Thread: 2010 E38 5.3 Turbo, need help with tune

2010 E38 5.3 Turbo, need help with tune

Hello, I installed a 76mm T4 .96ar ceramic ball bearing turbo on my silverado 2 weeks ago. The tune is still fairly stock, changed dod, no cats, kept 4 o2 sensors, have wide band PLX and vacuum/boost, did install a sheet metal manifold on her and using the stock MAF. Engine internals and sensors are all stock. The turbo empty's into a 3 inch tapering into a 4 inch pipe, it runs about 4 feet with 4 inch and tapers back to the stock 3 inch exhaust and tail pipe.
    The truck runs great starting and cruising around, even gets a bit better mileage.
    Problem it's a bit doggy when you put your foot in it, I attached the log file and tune for inspection, any help will be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Holy cow man, it's going lean as hell if that data log is right. The wideband is pegging out at 20.

Something is skewing the MAP reading in the graphs too, maybe your vacuum/boost gauge because the MAP kpa channel starts to read negative values and when you get into boost. The MAP channel in the channels list stops at 118kpa which is normal for a 1 bar sensor but the graphs get skewed by 50kpa for some reason. Not the end of the world but if you attempt to make specific graphs/charts to log your data that will be an issue it seems.

Needless to say that if you keep pushing it, you will hurt this engine without addressing your fueling problem and timing problem. The high octane timing is too much, mid 20's for timing is a alot. Stick with the mid teens for a starting point. That intake manifold is completely different than stock so you must retune the MAF curve and VVE tables for that and for boost.

The PE needs to be setup to be more boost friendly too because in that log you are already in boost but still in closed loop stoich causing the fuel trims to go nuts and add in fuel but it's still not enough because the MAF/VE are so far off it's still lean.

Change PE so that the MAP enable is at 90-95kpa and the throttle is at like 20%. Other things like the spark correction tables need attention too, like the IAT table and the Fuel > gas table because those will pull timing or the gas's case it will add even more timing and you don't want that.

It's a steep learning curve if you've never done this before.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Crap, it's like Mt. Everest. what should I do first, it all seemed so good, until now.

Now that I have my pulse back, I'll start with the high octain timing table, Thanks For the Help.

Being lean is far more of a concern. Timing is a simple remove 8 degrees from where you see boost and alter the spark correction tables.

If that wideband reading is true, which it seems to be because the o2 sensors go lean as well, you will pop a few pistons if you do not fix that like right now.

Read up on using the wideband error against the commanded AFR/Lambda so you can properly dial in the MAF/VVE in open loop.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

OK, thanks, i backed all the high timing to 18 and change the PE and throttle

Ok i have it set up in the scanner, only thing is i can't find a boost ve table.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You don't have one.

These trucks use VVE, that is under the edit tab. So if you wish to follow something on that it needs to be for VVE. (virtual VE)

I will try my hardest to not come through my computer to smack ya but what happened to your spark table??

I figured you had a basic understanding of how the ignition timing works. The timing for the NA motor setup was great, it is suppose to have higher timing at lower rpm and lower load, aka lower cylinder airmass. Then as rpm's rise and as cylinder airmass rises the timing has a slope downwards. Your timing table before sloped down towards that 18-23 degrees give or take. That amount of timing for boost tends to be a little high for starting out because you do not have things in order yet.

My comment about the timing was to lower the area's in the timing map where the engine would be at under higher loads and in boost. That is where timing needs to drop to 13-16 degrees. This where understanding how the timing works with cylinder airmass is very important.

What you did the complete opposite of what needed to be done and if you ran it like that, well it wouldn't run very well at all. It would run like completely dog shit. So go back to what it was like before and only change the area's over like .68ish cylinder airmass so it's down to a lower value of 13-16 degrees.

A last tid bit. Always remember that power enrichment eq ratio values are a target value. Never change that value unless you wish to achieve a different target. The MAF and VVE control all fueling. The more fuel added to either table, the more fuel it would give. This is why logging the wideband error is important, it would show where the engine is lean and give you the information/data that needs to be applied to the tune to correct for it.

thanks for the help, would you be interested in getting the tables 80-90% there if i can pay you for your expertise. I think I would do more damage to the engine while learning to program.

on the vve table is it a higher number adds more fuel, I'm guessing.

I decided to hire a professional tuner, will learn when truck isn't in jeopardy of destruction.

Advanced Tuner
    I could help If youre prepared to go SD

Thanks, but running all sensors minus the cats. Just hired a tuner. Thanks again for the out reach.