Thread: 2018 mustang tune

Advanced Tuner

2018 mustang tune

I have question when tuning car - do u turn off cat over temp - if u are still running cats for tuning
    Since when it hits high temp it dumps so much extra fuel

Tuner
    Not familiar with 18 tune, but I would say yes until you dial in your MAF. Someone with better knowLedge with 18 tune will chime in...

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsmithsr View Post
    I have question when tuning car - do u turn off cat over temp - if u are still running cats for tuning
    Since when it hits high temp it dumps so much extra fuel
    Even when my car was stock I always had all of the temp protection logic disabled, some may say otherwise but I never had issues.

Capture.PNG

Advanced Tuner
    Ok cool I will try

Advanced Tuner
    NO!!!

cat protection is there to do exactly as it describes it protects the cats

turning off cat protection is like turning off the wipers in the rain.. nothing good can come from it

if you are hitting cat protection often then its probably best you leave it on to protect the cats from your tooning skills

catalyst temp is inferred based on actual temp testing done to model pretty accurately what the cat midbed temp is for any given condition
    use it as a tuning tool.

if your tune is causing your cats to get excessively hot you might need to re-evaluate what it is your changing to cause that
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/

Advanced Tuner
    I have log the stock tune and it does cat over temp - it’s not just my tuning

Tuner in Training
    I would suggest to turn it OFF only if you have removed the cats too. You can check out the max. temp specs (RTFM) of the stock sensors and cats and rise the thereshold a bit torwards the specific max. maybe, but normally you have to change the vals only if you have put your hands on race cats and|or other sensors for example - or for other good reasons -.

Well, if your local laws and|or You don't care, you can remove the cats completely, which would be way better then to destroy the cat+sensors intentionally by turning the temp ctrl OFF or setting the sensor temp value to HIGH.

A removal (depends on your country/state/car purpose/regulations etc. pp.) or making cats disfunctional is (as always) Your decision and risk of course.
    Last edited by nonnex; 10-25-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    NO!!!

cat protection is there to do exactly as it describes it protects the cats

turning off cat protection is like turning off the wipers in the rain.. nothing good can come from it

if you are hitting cat protection often then its probably best you leave it on to protect the cats from your tooning skills

catalyst temp is inferred based on actual temp testing done to model pretty accurately what the cat midbed temp is for any given condition
    use it as a tuning tool.

if your tune is causing your cats to get excessively hot you might need to re-evaluate what it is your changing to cause that
    Very aggressive and useless post.

Most Coyote "tooners" switch off cat protection in their tunes - cats are fine most of the time. There is some power to make with this being off.
    Will it hurt the cat? Maybe...but no one really cares..

Advanced Tuner
    its only useless if your ignorant

WOW! This is the first I've heard of turning it off and picking up power. Learn something new everyday. Can you explain how it works and how disabling it adds power?
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

its only useless if your ignorant

WOW! This is the first I've heard of turning it off and picking up power. Learn something new everyday. Can you explain how it works and how disabling it adds power?
    It's even more useless with that sarcastic tone of yours - you need to use more exclamation marks Michael, you still sound like 30y old man.

Of course - you wont make much power when CAT enrichment brings your AFR to 0,75...not a thing in 2v/3v world?

Advanced Tuner
    I am 30.

yes cat protection exists on sbf, 2v and 3v as well. So a .75 AFR on decel and cruise causes a loss of power? Or are you saying that you hit cat protection while at WOT?
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

I am 30.
    Or are you saying that you hit cat protection while at WOT?
    I see that has to be the same thing as you had with return/returnless fuel system you just need "senior help" again.

Yes it does.