Thread: What's the difference between MDS and ECO Mode?

Advanced Tuner

What's the difference between MDS and ECO Mode?

I get it that MDS is Multiple Displacement System and I understand how it works. AND whenever it's active it shows ECO in my gauge cluster.

I have a 2009 Charger R/T.

So why is there an ECO Mode master setting AND an MDS master setting in VCM editor?

And they are set to come on at different MPH, one MPH apart.

Aren't these the same thing?

Advanced Tuner
    No one can take the time to briefly explain this? I know someone knows.

Advanced Tuner
    I'll try to help with what i can but i'm not exactly sure. Just how i think it does.

MDS Multiple Cylinder Deactivation- Its is what is says it is, shuts downs certain cylinders to save on fuel.

Eco mode- I believe that when this happens it also effects the way the transmission shifts and acts.

If you notice that with ECO "off" the car will shift down into 1st gear when completely stopped, where as when "on" it only goes to 2nd gear. But when Eco is off your MDS is still active at cruising speeds. The transmission has several different "drive modes" when you look into the transmission side of hp tuners and i'm only assuming that this ECO mode is part of this section. I cannot speak to the "settings" you refer to as i dont have them on my scatpack or have never paid enough attention to them lol. Know i may be missing somethings or have overlooked a few as well but from my experience this is what i have noticed from my personal experience.

Advanced Tuner
    It seems like ECO and MDS are the same thing. When mds comes on it lights up "eco" in the gauge cluster. The only way to shut it off is to use autostick.
    What makes me believe that the two are different is the settings in the programming.
    On my car there is no way to start or come to a stop with it in second.

If eco is what you said it is I would love to turn it off so the transmission doesn't shift weird like it does, and keep mds active. It would be a great help if there were more settings shown because there has to be a manifold vacuum influence that makes this work.

Hp tuners only shows the mph turn on settings. This is basically a master on/off switch.

Thanks for the reply.

I know an older thread, but I am interested this as well. I am actually trying to tune MDS mode for highway speeds only. Meaning, that I want it to only activate on the highway above 65... So i tested and set the VSS switches under MDS to 55 mph and 56 mph leaving the mph split that was referenced by the OP. MDS never came on at any speed other than on decel with foot of pedal...

Advanced Tuner
    Eco and MDS are NOT the same thing.

MDS is (as mentioned) cylinder deactivation.
    Eco is a little leaf shaped light showing that you are driving economically.

The best way I can explain is all thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs
    You can be in Eco mode but not in MDS
    You cannot be in MDS without being in Eco

On some vehicles such as hellcats (not sure if scat packs/392 cars or R/T cars) there is actually an Eco "mode" that you can select Im not sure the calibration differences as I've never cared to compare and I think I put my hellcat in Eco once just for curiosity, and couldn't notice a difference between eco and selecting 500hp mode

I do know neither my 2017 ram, nor my 2018 scat pack had a selectable "eco" mode

Advanced Tuner
    On my 2016 Scat 6.4 A8 ECO mode selects different shift schedules, shift pressures, slip times, torque converter tables, and driver demand tables. Maybe other things too.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    On my 2016 Scat 6.4 A8 ECO mode selects different shift schedules, shift pressures, slip times, torque converter tables, and driver demand tables. Maybe other things too.
    Good to know, In the 2006~10 cars, this is not available from a transmission setpoint like your 2016. Tables don't exist as far as I can see on an NAG1 car...

Tuner

Do all 6.4 Scat Packs have the ECO Mode ?

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    Do all 2016 Scat Packs have the ECO Mode ? How do you activate it ?

On our Ram eco mode is displayed at cruising.
    U can save fuel when you operate in eco mode....nothing else.
    In most conditions when eco is on, MDS is even active....