Thread: C7Z A8 Dyno Gear

Advanced Tuner

C7Z A8 Dyno Gear

Kind of a random question, but what gear is everyone running the A8 cars in on the dyno? I know 6th is 1:1, but it tops out at like 210mph, which is not only faster than most dynos allow, but I feel like it's asking for trouble if something goes wrong like a tire blowout, especially on high horsepower cars.

5th gear works fine, but I found last night that the power reading is quite a bit different (lower), and I also ran into traction issues because the car accelerated so hard in that gear, never mind that it is making 900ft/lbs of torque at 2800rpms.

So what is everyones method? Do you just deal with the drawbacks of using 5th gear? Or do you risk running the car at really high speeds in 6th? I think this particular car I am working on is going to have to get on a hub dyno at some point.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    i do 5th

i think if your tuning your looking at the end of your session about the delta of before and after the tune
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    If you're actually tuning, 5th works
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    i do 5th

i think if your tuning your looking at the end of your session about the delta of before and after the tune
    Quote Originally Posted by STAGEUP View Post
    If you're actually tuning, 5th works
    Yeah, I agree with you both, 5th gear is fine from a tuning standpoint, bit I was fighting traction issues on the dyno, so I ended up running it in 6th gear up to about 5000rpms so I could get a good log of the lower rpms without tire spin, and then making full pulls in 5th so I can dial in the upper rpms.

I was really just curious what others have done in these cars. Thanks for the replies.