Thread: Can we get a changelog published and version numbers on downloads?

Tuner in Training

Can we get a changelog published and version numbers on downloads?

Can we get a changelog published and version numbers on downloads?

It's pretty annoying just knowing it's the "latest" but not knowing if and when both the release and the beta version were changed without downloading it first and going in to the properties of the file to see the date there.

Can't we know what was changed, when it was changed and what version we're downloading before having to download it?

Tuner
    I realize this is only about 1/4 of an answer, but if you go to help-about in the editor or scanner, it'll tell you the program version number. And if there's an update available, it'll tell you the version number of the update.

But I agree 100% that a changelog would be great, and stating the version number on the download page (both for release and beta versions) would be very helpful!

I've mentioned this before, it's not unreasonable to expect the version right there in the filename. It's a piece of software. This is how filenames work, the version goes right there so you can see what it is and keep track of archived copies.

And the update checker suggestion isn't good enough. There was an issue in 4.4.2 where the checker would not find the new version even though it had been out for months, I stayed on the old one for a long time and only found the update when I downloaded another "VCM Suite.msi" and ran it to see that the version was 4.4.4.0.

Tuner
    I agree! Naming the file "VCM Suite v4.4.4.4.msi" would (should) not be that hard.

I just went back and checked the dates, I didn't find 4.4.4 for 2 whole months after it was released.

I haven't found any way to extract the version number without running the installer, 'file properties > details' doesn't show it for me anywhere.

Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner
    I just found a way to do it, but it's probably harder than installing the program. Find an archiving program like 7zip, and use it to extract the contents of the .msi file to a folder. In that folder, rename VCM_Editor_exe or VCM_Scanner_exe to have a ".exe" extension. Then right-click and look at that file's properties.

I'm all for this!

Would be nice to know what changes are with each update.. ie which new tables have been opened, etc