Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2.0 tfsi

Advanced Tuner
    Your load is a percent cylinder filling so yes if you request more load you will in turn request more boost/airflow and make more power

The maps you’re going to want to look at are optimum engine torque to ensure that your last column actually requests a torque of 100% otherwise you’ll never request the load in the 100% torque column of torque to load, then you’re going to want to look at your torque to load table because this is the amount of load the ECU see’s as reachable so make it smoothly taper up to a reasonable load request slightly higher than what you’re going to run then you use your maximum load to control your maximum cylinder filling request (your request should follow this unless limited by another map).

Hope this helps ��

Tuner
    Well I think you just made a very large light bulb come on over my head!

One of the things I've been struggling with most on these engines is the meaning of various percentage values in the tables. But if some of them represent cylinder filling that makes sense... on an engine making ~15 PSI boost, cylinder filling will max out around 190-200% of what it would at atmospheric pressure. Which would explain all those tables with numbers just under 200!

Advanced Tuner
    Well you also have to take into account what the turbo flows at 15psi because it’s based on a massflow meter so if you look at it like this....

you have a 2.0L engine at 6000rpm

To figure out your 100% VE you have to look at the flow rate per rotation

because you have 1000CC of volume being processed per rotation (2cyl firing per rotation) at 100% VE you have 1000CC 6000 times per min =6Mil CC per min or 100,000CC per second converted into G/sec (.0012929 conversion factor) is 129.129 G/sec at 100%VE.....

so if at 6K the engine is processing 200G/sec that’s 154% load (Cylinder filling) obviously this doesn’t take into account what MED calculates with corrections and whatnot but it gives you a good idea of how it all works
    Last edited by TylerJDubbs; 11-16-2019 at 10:42 AM.

I?ll give those tables a try when I get back to the car. Right now I?m about to fire off a big block in my chevelle and will be working on that tune for the next couple days. Built it 4 years ago and finally about to start it. Thanks for the help. I?m sure I still won?t know what I?m doing, but the only way to learn is to jump in head first.

These tables are all percentages what are they referencing? Max Power in the torque management tab? Or max torque under driver demand? Im going to make some changes tonight and post them up to see if Im doing this correctly.
    My Avatar is my Wife and Proud of it!!
    1970 Chevelle SS 8.1 Vortec T56 9" 3.00
    2006 3500HD 8.1 vortec Allison 6sp 4.10 4X4
    2013 Audi A5 Cab 2.0tfsi Quatro
    www.mcmnapa.com

Advanced Tuner
    What tables are you referring to in percent?

[ECM] 14233 - Maximum Engine Power is the max power the car can make in KW (conversion rate of 1.341 to HP) this should not have to be modified unless you have issues resulting in limp mode from power over max limit

[ECM] 13991 - Driver Demand Maximum Torque: The maximum allowed driver demand torque in NM, this can be logged and only needs to be raised if the limit is reached.

Hope this helps

So max engine power is at 171 so the ECU will only let me have 229 horse power?
    What do the percentages reference? When the load says 160% that is a % of what?

Advanced Tuner
    its a calculated value, i don't expect it to be terribly accurate

as for how load works, i explained that above.

Ok I think I finally got it. So 100% load would be the max cylinder filling a NA motor could produce. Over 100% is when your getting into boost. And 210% is the max cylinder filling the turbo can make?

Is there a way to log boost I can?t find one in the scanner. I?m thinking I need to install a boost tap and a pressure module to log the boost.

Tuner
    If you have "manifold absolute pressure" in the logging parameters, that will show boost.

I do not have manifold absolute pressure. I know that much, but I have re-polled numerous times and there is no map sensor available.

Advanced Tuner
    yes thats roughly how it works!

The limit of 210% load programmed into your torque to load map isn't the max the turbo can produce its just the max you can request... but it can be raised

if you are missing logging params open up a ticket with HP for the scanner and they should be able to add them, also make sure you're using the most up to date version of the beta and poll for newest parameters when you are connected to the car and to the internet in the logger

Ok thanks. I update every time and check weekly. I haven?t re-polled sense the update. I did ask them to add MAP when I opened the last ticket. I?ll take a look tonight.

Tuner
    Maybe your ECU doesn't output that parameter?

I think your car is the previous generation to mine (B7 vs. B8?). My car does not have a MAP sensor, but the ECU "makes up" the number and it can be logged. If your car has a MAP sensor there definitely should be a parameter for it, if it doesn't maybe not?

Mine is the b8.5. I?ll pop the hood and take a look after work.

Tuner
    Ah okay I had you confused with someone else. I'm 99% sure that engine doesn't have a MAP sensor. But it's similar enough to my B8 that I'd think the ECU would calculate and output that parameter.

Advanced Tuner
    just a quick FYI

@ELaw you shouldn't be using the calculated model as its not accurate and your car does have a boost pressure sensor located in the charge air system its just before the TB not after it.

have you submitted for a boost pressure actual/Requested logging param?

I just looked at the car and it does have a MAP sensor inside the intercooler outlet tube. Im going to submit a ticket. I don't want to do anything until I can read boost pressure.
    My Avatar is my Wife and Proud of it!!
    1970 Chevelle SS 8.1 Vortec T56 9" 3.00
    2006 3500HD 8.1 vortec Allison 6sp 4.10 4X4
    2013 Audi A5 Cab 2.0tfsi Quatro
    www.mcmnapa.com

Tuner
    Technically that's not a "MAP" sensor, it's turbocharger outlet pressure. Under boost it'll give a value equal to manifold pressure plus drop across the throttle, but it won't show vacuum because it's before the throttle plate. On my car that sensor is loggable as "Throttle inlet pressure actual".