Thread: Idle spark advance

Potential Tuner

Idle spark advance

Hey guys just wondering how low is to low i have my cammed ss l98 running 8* at idle as thats where it isnt over revving but is running great is that to low ? Can i go lower ?

That is pretty darn low if you ask me, kinda too low. Depending on the camshaft size, getting them to run at 16-22 degrees is reasonable with everything working together. Having the airflow model for the MAF/VVE dialed in is key, as well as setting up the spark corrections tables so it's not jumping all over the place. And lastly the base running airflow to keep the engine happy.

Going lower will make the explosion take place in the exhaust itself and start making the exhaust get stupid hot, glowing headers hot.

RPM can also play a role in what timing is good. A really big camshaft won't want to idle at 600rpm.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    i had it idling at 18* but it didn't sound cammed but after disabling peramitors so it couldn't change the airflow it was idling like it was cammed but to high of an rpm only way I could figure out how to get it to keep idling how it should and have the rpm down at 950 was to drop the spark down to 8*

Potential Tuner
    I have spent hours reading every forum and guide and watching every video I can find on tuning the idle but they all made it idle choppy and not sound right not how a cam should. doing it this way I got the cam idle I was so desperate for and I have spent hours and hours and hours trying other methods and this was the only one that worked

So higher timing and less rpm doesn't help. Like 14-18 degrees and 700-800rpm?

It only idle like you want at 950rpm and 8 degrees?

This all assuming the fueling and such is pretty much dialed in with a wideband, you just wouldn't want to be fighting that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    I usually have idle L98 with decent cam at around 13-15 degrees warm with a SD tune. I usually set the "gear" idle spark corrections to about 65% of stock values and paste that into the idle and coast tables.

when they're cold they'll add what they need to maintain idle and at 13-15 they have room to add and subtract to control idle well.

Potential Tuner
    it was idling at 950 at 18* but wasn't idling how a cam should, the only way I could get it to idle how a cam should was to zero out the airflow tables for proportional and integral air flow as soon as I zero'd them out the car idled how a cam should how ever that's when it started idling really high and I had to pull spark down to 8*

Potential Tuner
    and yeah air fuel dialed in with a wide band

Tuner
    The engine will be much more responsive with timing in the 16-22 range, however, if you like the way it sounds at 8 then leave it. Just remember that the lower you drop your timing from "ideal", the less responsive it will be.