Thread: Key Fob Remote Functions Not Working

Unhappy Key Fob Remote Functions Not Working

I?ve been posting a lot of questions lately so I appreciate the help you?ve all given me so far.

I?ve uploaded several tunes to my car since having my Stage 1 package installed and I noticed that my key fob?s remote functions, lock, unlock, trunk and remote start, aren?t working anymore. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how do I fix it?

Going to bump this up right quick. Anyone ever seen this before? How would I fix it?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by breal5825 View Post
    Going to bump this up right quick. Anyone ever seen this before? How would I fix it?
    hey, does your 2nd or 3rd remote work? do you have them?
    dont want to be that guy but being that no one wrote yet, battery?
    RF module power? antenna test? do you have access to a scan tool?

Quote Originally Posted by onyx1328 View Post
    hey, does your 2nd or 3rd remote work? do you have them?
    dont want to be that guy but being that no one wrote yet, battery?
    RF module power? antenna test? do you have access to a scan tool?
    I did check both of my key fobs and neither works. I suppose it's POSSIBLE that they both ran out of batteries at the same time. The car is officially 3 years old now so... maybe it's a coincidence and that's all it is. I'll check that out.

If that's not the issue, RF module... if that was the issue, would the car even recognize the key fobs at all and thus not start when I'm sitting in the car with the device? I do have a scan tool and I'm not getting any error codes when I do a check with that. I have the VCM Scanner and a handed ODBII code reader. I've tried both, no error codes.

Advanced Tuner
    There were a couple of guys on the challenger/charger forums recently with a similar issue. One was due to interference coming from a wireless camera, another one was dead fob batteries, and the third one appeared to be a fluke as the owner only experience the fobs not working once and has not happened again. BTW I recently bought the AlphaOBD app and it seems to be able to communicate with all modules...I even read it can program fobs (might need a pin code from a dealer). Seems like a pretty powerful scanner app for FCA vehicles.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    There were a couple of guys on the challenger/charger forums recently with a similar issue. One was due to interference coming from a wireless camera, another one was dead fob batteries, and the third one appeared to be a fluke as the owner only experience the fobs not working once and has not happened again. BTW I recently bought the AlphaOBD app and it seems to be able to communicate with all modules...I even read it can program fobs (might need a pin code from a dealer). Seems like a pretty powerful scanner app for FCA vehicles.
    I have looked at AlphaOBD. What can it do?
    I fear the day when something electrical goes bad and I cannot repair it myself because the replacement part has to be programmed.

Can AlphaOBD flash a VIN into a new or used module to satisfy SKIM?

Advanced Tuner
    Nope can't do VIN.

Senior Tuner
    Dead battery in the car? I'm guessing you have been able to get in and start the car and everything?

Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Dead battery in the car? I'm guessing you have been able to get in and start the car and everything?
    Yes. I can drive the car just fine. I’m out of town right now so I’ll just try the simple battery swap when I get home. I hope that works. I was just thinking it couldn’t be that simple because both fobs went out at the same time and I can still drive the car. If the fob batteries were dead, wouldn’t the car also not detect them to start the car?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by breal5825 View Post
    Yes. I can drive the car just fine. I’m out of town right now so I’ll just try the simple battery swap when I get home. I hope that works. I was just thinking it couldn’t be that simple because both fobs went out at the same time and I can still drive the car. If the fob batteries were dead, wouldn’t the car also not detect them to start the car?
    I had a fob battery getting low and it would cause a message to be displayed in the cluster "KEY FOB BATTERY LOW" or something like that. The remote start still worked even when this was displaying. I doubt it's the fob battery, but they're cheap and easy to replace.

It's probably not related to the tune - but in theory could have been related to the unlocked PCM that was installed to allow for tuning. If it worked when that was originally installed, but does not work now, I doubt that is it.
    You could always try putting the stock PCM back in (car won't run well without your current tune) and see if the fob works again.
    Last edited by spoolboy; 11-13-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    There have been quite a few folks on the CT forum where the fobs stopped working after a dead battery. There was a recall on the 2011 models (not 100% on the year) which had to do with the WIN module. Also on those year cars starting the engine with the fob as a key helps resync the fob/WIN in some cases. On the newer years +2015 it seems more likely fob battery issue.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    I had a fob battery getting low and it would cause a message to be displayed in the cluster "KEY FOB BATTERY LOW" or something like that. The remote start still worked even when this was displaying. I doubt it's the fob battery, but they're cheap and easy to replace.

It's probably not related to the tune - but in theory could have been related to the unlocked PCM that was installed to allow for tuning. If it worked when that was originally installed, but does not work now, I doubt that is it.
    You could always try putting the stock PCM back in (car won't run well without your current tune) and see if the fob works again.
    That's what I was thinking, that screwing with the PCM somehow caused this issue but when I got the car back, everything was fine for a few months and now all of a sudden this is happening. I think I'm going to go the route of simply replacing the batteries. If that works, I'll be both happy and feel like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    There have been quite a few folks on the CT forum where the fobs stopped working after a dead battery. There was a recall on the 2011 models (not 100% on the year) which had to do with the WIN module. Also on those year cars starting the engine with the fob as a key helps resync the fob/WIN in some cases. On the newer years +2015 it seems more likely fob battery issue.
    Mine's a 2016 so... OK; batteries is the first route to go. I guess that should have been the first choice but having both fobs stop working at the same time is what threw me.

So... yes. Both key fob batteries died at the same time. New batteries in and we’re good to go now. I feel silly.

Tuner in Training
    FWIW, if I leave the HP interface plugged into the OBD port, my fob will only work at very close range and sporadically at that. Took me a while to put that together.