Thread: How shot is my trans?

Tuner in Training

How shot is my trans?

Just got hptuners, first time user. I got it to do a 4l80/segment swap and eventually add boost.

This log is not the segment swap, its still the 4l60e.

Vehicle is a 2004 Buick Rainier 5.3l. It has strange things happening with 2nd gear. Sometimes when shifting through the gears manually, everything works as it should and other times 2nd gear isnt "grabbing". It seems to skip 2nd all together if you leave it in OD or 3rd. If 2nd does "grab" it won't shift into 3rd until you let off the gas. No WOT shifts seem to work at all.

Let me know if I should log something else. I just kind of followed other peoples lead on what to log.

translog.hpl Trans.cfg Buick Rainier Original Nov 2 19 TRANS TEST.hpt

Thank you all!
    Last edited by kott0n; 11-03-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I should add I ran through and added the BlueCat tables already.

try putting stock numbers in the shift time tables.they are zeroed out in your tune

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WAcord View Post
    try putting stock numbers in the shift time tables.they are zeroed out in your tune
    I read that if its at 0 it will shift as fast as possible. Maybe that isn't true. I will say its behaving the same as it did before I made any changes.

I can set it back to defaults though and test it.

So the log is of you running a 4l60e tune on a 4l80e trans?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith View Post
    So the log is of you running a 4l60e tune on a 4l80e trans?
    No, sorry. I bought this Buick for cheap because it had no 2nd gear. I bought it for the LM4 motor to use in a swap and will add a 4l80e trans eventually in time. I ended up putting new servos in, new filter and fluid just to see if I can get it to go into 2nd gear. I was able to get it to the point Im at now.

The tune should just be my base tune with BlueCat transmission changes (4l60e tables unless Im an idiot and did this part wrong) and I moved PE sooner and 0.00 out the shift time table. As pointed out, maybe I shouldnt of zerod out the shift table?

Someone pointed out the trans input shaft speed and rpm are nowhere near each other which could point to a toasted converter? This kind of explains how it drives. Seems to have a high "stall" in 2nd or free revs or grabs like normal, its a mixed bag.

I was hoping I was logging the right stuff. I'm still waiting on parts to do my 80e, have the trans, swap so I thought I would poke around with this transmission and hptuners as I'm brand new to HPT but a quick study and I researched quite a bit.

Thank you

What did fluid look like in the trans?

Tuner in Training
    The fluid looked terrible. Only a slight red tint and otherwise black. Had clutch debris on the magnet as well.

Its 100% possible the clutches and/or bands are roasted but I was hoping the logs might pin point it in some way.

As I mentioned, I have an 80e sitting in my garage already, just finishing up the rest of the parts for the swap.

Tuner
    Have you put a gauge on the tranny?
    EPC current looks funny to me, when you give it throttle, the current doesn't drop in order in increase line pressure.
    Add Gear selector position to the log. This is a pressure switch that tells the PCM what gear you have selected. In P and N, it wont add pressure.

I've seen the EPC and the switch manifold go flakey and burn a tranny. Guess that's why reputable shops replace those two items as part of a normal rebuild.

You can install a test gauge, and while idling, manipulate current to see pressure rise. Don't leave the pressure up for very long, just enough to see pressure to prevent excess heat and pump damage.