Thread: Found new table as well as hang between gears?!

Tuner in Training

Found new table as well as hang between gears?!

NewTable.png

One of my customers called me and said his manual 2016 camaro with full bolt ons and e85 wont rev past 5000rpm despite the limiters raised and driver demand adjusted. Also there's a 1 second delay between shifts ONLY when using no lift shift over 6100rpms. It feels like fuel cut off or torque management but it only happen after installing the flex fuel sensor. When I went back to check over his tune I found this table that I don't remember seeing before called "Pedal Progression" it's new to me. Has anyone tested it to see if it effects throttle response or may be contribute to the hang between gears? I've seen many others have this issue on the manuals whenever they start making any sort of power. Attached tune as well. Maybe I'm missing something. 2016CamaroAFTERnewECUAFTERe85.hpt

Quote Originally Posted by CAMARO416 View Post
    NewTable.png

One of my customers called me and said his manual 2016 camaro with full bolt ons and e85 wont rev past 5000rpm despite the limiters raised and driver demand adjusted. Also there's a 1 second delay between shifts ONLY when using no lift shift over 6100rpms. It feels like fuel cut off or torque management but it only happen after installing the flex fuel sensor. When I went back to check over his tune I found this table that I don't remember seeing before called "Pedal Progression" it's new to me. Has anyone tested it to see if it effects throttle response or may be contribute to the hang between gears? I've seen many others have this issue on the manuals whenever they start making any sort of power. Attached tune as well. Maybe I'm missing something. 2016CamaroAFTERnewECUAFTERe85.hpt
    My presumption is that this table is used by the ECM for all the weird behind the scenes calculation of driveline backlash bump and clunking prevention. The funny thing is GM failed at it from the factory on completely stock cars especially the 8L90 Camaro. Since they love to build in slop and backlash in the driveline they need to be able to try to control the torque good enough to where you don't get a sudden torque increase or decrease in this "neutral" state where the slop is. You would think that would be almost impossible but controls should be good enough now days to program all this stuff in to where you could get a perfect feeling driveability experience with no clunks or clangs or being thrown back in forth in your seat. I have a feeling a lot of these are during closed throttle coast down shifts when the transmission decides to not apply clutches right and you get a slight tie up. I feel it happening in 6L80s as well as 8L90s I think everyone likes to blame it on AFM but I think its the transmission mis shifting a downshift but I've never been able to catch it with a log in the wild since its all so intermittent and random just like every other GM driveability issue.

I was hoping to copy these "pedal progression" tables from a CTSV, hoping I could use the "luxury" values from the Cadillac to improve my driveability but they are not available on any other OS I can see only my 6th gen Camaro one.

Now with my cam I think im going to try reducing this table (assuming the numbers in the table represent wheel torque and the column axis represent vehicle speed, but HP Tuners didn't label the table axis) since I should have slightly less wheel torque at idle speeds since I have lowered virtual torque at idle speeds.

As always I am expecting nothing from this since we have so many tables with so much promise that all seem to do absolutely nothing but given the names of them I guess they are good for a placebo? just like 99% of all other tuning haha

Also someone had to of requested HP to add this table for some reason or another, so there has got to be a story behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMARO416 View Post
    NewTable.png

I looked at your tune but I don't see anything out of ordinary. Can you get a log to see how much the throttle is opening? I have had a weird limiter that limits throttle (predicted torque) to like half when you start doing things with disabling closed loop and stuff.

Also about the pedal progression, I put in the stock table from a 2017 Corvette and it looks like my presumption is wrong about this table. After I tried it there ended up being the really weird immediate torque limiter, so throttle blade was open all the way but timing was only about 14 degrees or so so it felt like it lost like 75% of its power.

Ok I have to correct myself again the reason why I was only getting around 14 degrees of timing and my engine lost over half its power and even started flashing the check engine light for a misfire was because it was showing a 14 degree KR at high rpms which has definitely got to be false knock. I went in and zeroed out the maximum allowed knock retard at high rpms and reflashed and everything is good it appears. I didn't realize I guess the knock learn factor has difference "cells" so that its not a constant value but it I think depends on where in the map you are, not sure if its rpm or airflow or dependent on what but I know it was showing in the .5 range which was pulling the base timing down from the low octane table I am assuming even though it currently wasn't showing KR.

So the problem was not the "pedal progression" table, but I still don't have a good idea on what this table is.