Thread: New here, need help 07' gmc yukon 5.3, shorty headers, k&n intake, BTR cam AFM delete

Potential Tuner

Cool New here, need help 07' gmc yukon 5.3, shorty headers, k&n intake, BTR cam AFM delete

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this forum, I am also new to HP tuners. Need some help and advice...
    Recently, I had installed a BTR stage 4 (Yes stage 4) truck cam, bee hive springs, deleted the AFM, stock heads, stock everything with the exception of the headers and intake.

I know this cam is TOO much for this engine. I am not looking to get bashed.. I made a mistake purchasing and plainly didn't do all my research.
    Is there any way to tune this so it will run better? I can accept having to put a converter in it, changing injectors, different intake., removing cats, etc.. but if I can manage for now without changing any of that, it would be better. I plan to daily drive it, but its a spare vehicle.

Right now, it barely starts, if it does, it idles like crap and stalls. Once you pedal it, it will stay running, and actually runs pretty good down the road. When its up to temp, it continues to idle. ITs choppy for sure. but dips big time when you let it back down to idle. Also, the cats smell like rotten eggs..

So far, I have disabled P0300, and made adjustments to the Idle using HP tuners ( raising it to 900rpm).
    It did help while it sits there running, but the engine still simply wont start without pedaling.
    Before I purchased HP tuners, my ECM was flashed elsewhere to remove the AFM system.

If anyone has a file I can compare to, I would appreciate any sent my way. Or maybe send me some info on what to change.
    Not finding much on the Repository on HPtuners website.
    I have been using YouTube to help me with HP tuners. Still very un educated with it.. Somewhat overwhelming, but ill get there.
    Before I tear this thing down to put a stage 1 or a stock cam in it, Im going to try to use what I have. If Im crazy to try that, let me know! Thank you !!

Specs on cam 224/230 duration at .050
    .553/.553 lift
    109 LSA

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnt360 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I am new to this forum, I am also new to HP tuners. Need some help and advice...
    Recently, I had installed a BTR stage 4 (Yes stage 4) truck cam, bee hive springs, deleted the AFM, stock heads, stock everything with the exception of the headers and intake.

I know this cam is TOO much for this engine. I am not looking to get bashed.. I made a mistake purchasing and plainly didn't do all my research.
    Is there any way to tune this so it will run better? I can accept having to put a converter in it, changing injectors, different intake., removing cats, etc.. but if I can manage for now without changing any of that, it would be better. I plan to daily drive it, but its a spare vehicle.

Right now, it barely starts, if it does, it idles like crap and stalls. Once you pedal it, it will stay running, and actually runs pretty good down the road. When its up to temp, it continues to idle. ITs choppy for sure. but dips big time when you let it back down to idle. Also, the cats smell like rotten eggs..

So far, I have disabled P0300, and made adjustments to the Idle using HP tuners ( raising it to 900rpm).
    It did help while it sits there running, but the engine still simply wont start without pedaling.
    Before I purchased HP tuners, my ECM was flashed elsewhere to remove the AFM system.

If anyone has a file I can compare to, I would appreciate any sent my way. Or maybe send me some info on what to change.
    Not finding much on the Repository on HPtuners website.
    I have been using YouTube to help me with HP tuners. Still very un educated with it.. Somewhat overwhelming, but ill get there.
    Before I tear this thing down to put a stage 1 or a stock cam in it, Im going to try to use what I have. If Im crazy to try that, let me know! Thank you !!

Specs on cam 224/230 duration at .050
    .553/.553 lift
    109 LSA
    Forgot to add, it?s a 2007 GMC Yukon 5.3 flex fuel

Senior Tuner
    Here's a 2008 Tahoe with a BTR Stage 3. This will get you close.

2008tahoe53withbtrstage3.hpt

Feel free to email me if you need some tuning help.
    [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Thanks man! I will give it a shot before I reach out. Appreciate it.

Get a wideband o2 sensor and learn to tune the MAF/VVE tables.

Correcting the fueling is one of your top prioirtys. I would not even think about going full throttle until you can monitor that real time air fuel ratio. Installing the wideband on the stock y-pipe will be a pain in the ass because it needs to be installed pre-cat converter.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Ok thanks for the reply.
    Any advice on which wideband to pick up?
    Quick google search shows AEM and glow shift As good ones..? Obviously I?ll have to install a dual wideband gauge because of where the cats are.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    AEM is pretty good, they also have a OBD powered version which you can log directly into the scanner
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Here's a 2008 Tahoe with a BTR Stage 3. This will get you close.

2008tahoe53withbtrstage3.hpt

Feel free to email me if you need some tuning help.
    [email protected]

I know this is a long shot but we are having a hell of a time tuning my 2008 tahoe after doing afm/dod delete and got a cam from a 2015 camaro ss 6 speed in it....dod is deleted but the tuning is way off and I cannot view what you have shared is there anyway you can help me out???

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    ^post your current tune here and we will look into it
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161