Thread: Best ECM l77 swapped car?

Potential Tuner

Best ECM l77 swapped car?

Hi
    I got l77 or ls2 you can say swapped car but I'm using aftermarket ECU haltech so I wonder what is the proper oem ecu to use
    58x dod deleted

Advanced Tuner
    E38

LS2 can be either E40 or E38 though.

E38 uses 4x cam gear, E40 used half moon. Both have same reluctor

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by lukearmstrong1990 View Post
    E38

LS2 can be either E40 or E38 though.

E38 uses 4x cam gear, E40 used half moon. Both have same reluctor
    So the car would run normally with VATS turned off or there is something else?

It would run with VATS turned off but there are many many other settings that have to be changed so they don't cause background issues.

Think of all the stock equipment on a factory car. They have EVAP, cat converters, 4 o2 sensors etc etc. All the things that aren't being used need to be disabled within the calibration. As well as disabling the AFM/DoD system within the tune.

I agree with luke though, if it's a stock L77 going with a E38 computer is not a bad choice.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    It would run with VATS turned off but there are many many other settings that have to be changed so they don't cause background issues.

Think of all the stock equipment on a factory car. They have EVAP, cat converters, 4 o2 sensors etc etc. All the things that aren't being used need to be disabled within the calibration. As well as disabling the AFM/DoD system within the tune.

I agree with luke though, if it's a stock L77 going with a E38 computer is not a bad choice.
    All these can be modified with hptuner?

Also can you please according to your knowledge of tuning list what is should be turned off, that will be helpful
    Thank you

Yes, all of those basic things can be changed with HP Tuners.

Off the top of my head the following would have to be done. Most of this stuff is trouble code related.

VATS
    EVAP codes
    Rear o2 sensor codes
    Cat converter codes
    COT - Cat over temp protection disabled
    Cat test master enable switch if applicable
    Rear o2 sensor diagnostic test
    AFM/DoD master enable set to disable

That's most of the stuff. Possibly more things depending on what calibration is in the computer. Ideally you'd want to get a computer that somewhat matches the setup already. If you are running a the stock transmission that was behind the L77, then a automatic file would be wanted. If the setup is a manual transmission a manual calibration file should be used to start with. It keeps things simple. Small things like getting the VSS working and what not I'm sure can be figured out if using a manual transmission that isn't factory.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner

Off the top of my head the following would have to be done. Most of this stuff is trouble code related.

VATS
    EVAP codes
    Rear o2 sensor codes
    Cat converter codes

That's most of the stuff. Possibly more things depending on what calibration is in the computer. Ideally you'd want to get a computer that somewhat matches the setup already. If you are running a the stock transmission that was behind the L77, then a automatic file would be wanted. If the setup is a manual transmission a manual calibration file should be used to start with. It keeps things simple. Small things like getting the VSS working and what not I'm sure can be figured out if using a manual transmission that isn't factory.
    Thank you so much for this effort ,
    I'll see what I can do

Potential Tuner

VATS
    EVAP codes
    Rear o2 sensor codes
    Cat converter codes

One more question does all E38 ECUs are the same I mean can I use whatever E38 of any gm car

Well, I don't want to say yes here.

I believe there might be different service/part numbers for different years/vehicles. One thing for sure is that whatever computer you buy, it needs to have or needs to be flashed with dealership level GM tool to put the proper calibration into the computer first. Lots of things needs to match to work with the calibration. Like the wire harness, throttle body, APP (gas pedal) would need to match the calibration because different cars can use different parts for those things.