Thread: Only a change to high flow filter affected MAF calibration?

Advanced Tuner

Only a change to high flow filter affected MAF calibration?

Hello all. I am wondering if someone can provide information regarding why this occured.

I made some 3rd gear pulls and datalogged them. Changing ONLY from the OEM paper filter to a new Synthaflow skewed my STFT by +3% more fuel and interestingly enough showed a LOWER lbs/min on the MAF flow across the rpm range vs. with the OEM filter by that same amount. Correcting the MAF lbs/min +3% since fueling was +3% brought the MAF lbs/min up to a little higher than OEM filter datalogs which is what I expected.

My question is why doesn't the MAF just meter more air flow with the better filter? It must be because the velocity of air is slower with a less restrictive filter?

Why is this exactly? Why couldn't I drop in a better filter and the MAF just simply see more air without skewing the calibration? Is it because the restriction is lower with the Synthaflow which slowed the velocity of air per lbs? This is what I think but I need a confirmation
    Last edited by blackbolt22; 11-07-2019 at 10:50 PM.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Advanced Tuner
    prob just the dirty filter

for a real test try using a clean paper filter
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/