Thread: 24x Conversion 0411 PCM "Detect Protocol Failed"

Tuner in Training

24x Conversion 0411 PCM "Detect Protocol Failed"

Hello,
    New user here. I just completed the Torqhead 24x 0411 pcm Conversion and I got a mail order tune from Keith at PCMforLess.
    He did my previous mail order tune for my set up which is a 1997 Camaro LT1 383, LE Cam (236/242), Kooks LT and it was ok.
    Well I sent my pcm off to PCMforless and car starts up and runs ok. So I bought HP Tuners mpvi2 Pro so that I could do some
    wideband tuning (buying at a later date). I go to connect to the car and I get "Detect Protocol Failed". I tried resyncing and
    connecting again but it didn't work. I wondered if there was a problem with HP so I go to my other car (2001 Pontiac Firehawk)
    and it connects with no problem and I can download the tune in it. I then go back to my 24x conversion car and still get the
    "Detect Protocol Failed" error. I checked for power on the OBDII port (#16) and I have power.
    I spoke with Keith at PCMforLess and he said that he doesn't believe that I have a VIN in the computer as he uses TunerCats
    and it isn't necessary. He also thinks that disabling VATS could be part of the problem. We talked about sending back my pcm
    and having him install the VIN.
    I just have a couple questions before I send my pcm off:
    1.) If my mail order tune flash does not have a VIN, will this keep HP Tuners from connecting?
    2.) Will putting in the VIN from my car work or will it have to be the VIN from a LS vehicle with the correct OS?
    3.) If I am able to get the VIN from my car installed, will HP be able to connect and allow me to edit and flash?
    I opened a ticket with HP to get this looked at and I know that it will take a while before they can help.
    I am just looking for insight from others that have done the swap.
    Thanks.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Try reading via bench harness to rule out a wiring issue of some sort, otherwise it could be anything from wiring to a pin on the ecm causing the issue.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the response. I have a Torqhead 0411 pcm that has the LT1 OBDII connections. Do you know where I can find a bench harness for this pcm? I haven't found any that were still being made.

Tuner in Training
    here is one on ebay or you can make one for under 10 bucks

https://www.ebay.com/i/153581406463?...xoCQFUQAvD_BwE

Tuner in Training
    Thanks but that is for an LS computer. I have the Torqhead pcm that uses the LT harness for the pcm.

Tuner in Training
    Not sure if you're still having an issue, but I've run into this on most customer installs. Your ALDL is wired incorrectly almost every time.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks. I am still having the problem. Even built a bench harness. I can connect to it with everything except HP Tuners. "Data Protocol Failed". I even used a Tech2 to write a new VIN number with the 12212156 OS (wiped out all I have previously spent on tuning) to see if that was the problem and that did not work. I am at a loss. What could be different? Why can I connect to the pcm on a Tech2, a OBD scanner and even rewrite the vin and OS, but not connect with HP Tuners? Am I the only one that has been through this?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwc2 View Post
    Thanks. I am still having the problem. Even built a bench harness. I can connect to it with everything except HP Tuners. "Data Protocol Failed". I even used a Tech2 to write a new VIN number with the 12212156 OS (wiped out all I have previously spent on tuning) to see if that was the problem and that did not work. I am at a loss. What could be different? Why can I connect to the pcm on a Tech2, a OBD scanner and even rewrite the vin and OS, but not connect with HP Tuners? Am I the only one that has been through this?
    In that case you have a couple of things you could try.

a. a new obd2 cable
    b. a known functional MPVI interface be it MPVI1 or MPVI2

could be an obd2 cable issue or an internal interface issue from the sounds of it.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    What are the possibilities that I have a bad MPVI 2? I can connect with other devices except the HP Tuners MPVI 2. Tech Support (Ticket #193271) is telling me that they do not see the ECM reporting at all, also asking about checking harness pin outs and am I resyncing. Well, I resync everytime before I try to connect and as far as pin outs I go back to other devices being able to connect and read. Just to add if it matters, I had to build a harness that connects to the Torqhead 0411 pcm. Blue and Black with 32 pin connectors vs the std 0411 pcm that uses the blue and red 80 pin connectors.
    Last edited by mwc2; 12-06-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Tuner in Training
    sorry duplicate post.