Thread: Alternator parameters?

Tuner in Training

Alternator parameters?

My alternator isnt charging very well. battery and alternator are new, im only getting about 2 volt signal from the PCM to the two pin connector (on both the grey and brown wires) I cant find any settings in HP tuners for this...do they exist?

Im running an LQ4 engine in my truck (used to be a 4.8), running the LQ4 pcm, and the original harness from the 4.8. Now the original 6L harness used a 4 pin connector and the truck is running the 2 pin style from the 4.8. Almost thinking I need to go back to the 4.8 pcm, load the 6L swap and segment swap for the 4l80e

Thanks for the help
    1995 rcsb c1500, 5.3L L33 swap, hot cam, long tubes, 5spd

Potential Tuner
    There aren't any parameters for alternators in hp tuner

Brian, what year/platform did the LQ4 PCM come from? Any reason you can't post the two files so there's something to look at? Compare the 4.8 & 6.0 files and see if there are differences in the system options (see below)?

Quote Originally Posted by bernarlitt View Post
    There aren't any parameters for alternators in hp tuner
    Look at System > General > System Options. Alt L-term & Alt F-term enable/disable.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Brian, what year/platform did the LQ4 PCM come from? Any reason you can't post the two files so there's something to look at? Compare the 4.8 & 6.0 files and see if there are differences in the system options (see below)?

Look at System > General > System Options. Alt L-term & Alt F-term enable/disable.
    I've played with both those alternator settings and neither of them seem to make a difference. In fact if I mirror the settings that the 4.8L pcm used, I get a "battery not charging" indication on the dash
    1995 rcsb c1500, 5.3L L33 swap, hot cam, long tubes, 5spd

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post

The LQ4 pcm is a 2004 model. My pickup is an 05

Tuner in Training
    So no matter what I tried, i just couldn't get the 6L pcm to control the alternator. I installed the original pcm from the truck and now it's working fine. For whatever reason, the pcm that used to run an alternator with the 4 wire plug would not control a 2 wire alternator (even after playing with the alt L and F terminal settings in the vcm editor)

NOTE: the alternator was only putting out 13.48v with the plug connected. By disconnecting the plug, the output went up to 13.8v which was great for providing a bit more juice to the battery while trouble shooting for a few weeks and still being able to drive to work

Truck is running fine now after segment swapping some 6L/4L80e data into the 4.8/4L60e pcm